General Boat License Upgrade from Junior Boat License

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

Here's an interesting one that I can't get a straight answer on from Maritime/RTA

My son who is currently 15 has a junior boat license which expires this Friday.

He turns 16 this coming Monday.

He also has a General Boat License just issued and just paid for which is valid from this Friday.

We don't have the card license yet just the paper one which I paid online.

He theoretically is not entitled to one because he is under 16 until Monday.

Maritime/RTA have given me two answers.

1) "We would never issue a General Boat Licence to a person under the age of 16."

2) "Not sure mate, just don't let him loose until Monday".

What do you reckon?

Edited by fragmeister

Interesting one. I have been waiting to bump into one of the Maritime or water police to ask something along those line because they are the ones that enforce the laws. My son is nearly 13 but has his Junior license. Now if he is driving the boat while I'm on it rigging gear or whatever does he need his license on him. He has it in his wallet but doesn't always take his wallet. If I leave the paper one on the boat is that enough proof.

Hi Raiders,

Here's an interesting one that I can't get a straight answer on from Maritime/RTA

My son who is currently 15 has a junior boat license which expires this Friday.

He turns 16 this coming Monday.

He also has a General Boat License just issued and just paid for which is valid from this Friday.

We don't have the card license yet just the paper one which I paid online.

He theoretically is non entitled to one because he is under 16 until Monday.

Maritime/RTA have given me two answers.

1) "We would never issue a General Boat Licence to a person under the age of 16."

2) "Not sure mate, just don't let him loose until Monday".

What do you reckon?

Does the junior licence automatically update or are they tested again?

It's hard to get straight answers with any government department or large business. I'd be playing it safe and wait the few days.

Does the junior licence automatically update or are they tested again?

It's hard to get straight answers with any government department or large business. I'd be playing it safe and wait the few days.

The upgrade is automatic.

Sure is going to be hard telling the boy he can't open the throttle for a few day yet!

Got a sensible answer on this one now.

When they upgrade a young adult boat license ( sorry, I called this junior boat licence before) they take a look at the birth date and if its with a few days of the renewal

they simply issue an adult General Boat License. Otherwise they give them a six month or 12 month renewal depending on what is closer and you can apply on your 16th birthday for the upgrade. Forgot to ask whether there is a credit against the payment for the early upgrade.

Paying the general boat license immediately voids the young adult boat license and activates the general boat licence.

Advice is to keep the paper renewal form and payment receipt number on the boat until the card licence is issued.

So good news for the boy, his new general boat licence is valid and he is technically allowed to captain the vessel, go solo at more than 20knots...

except of course there is one other authority in the way of that level of independence and responsibility...

His old man! (Who knows what it is like to be 16).

Cheers

Jim

And you think that makes them know the law more than the people you call who's job it is to tell you what the law is ??

;)

No but they are the ones that will decide wether to issue a fine. Your decision after the fact to challenge it is up to you.

But asking a desk jockey at RMS wont guarantee they are on the same wavelength as those that enforce the laws either.

Edited by boattart

The upgrade is automatic.

Sure is going to be hard telling the boy he can't open the throttle for a few day yet!

It's a few years away but the daughter will be happy about the auto upgrade.

Sounds like he is good to go.

I would just wait a couple of days until his new one takes over.......also i always keep the paper versions on the boat - the invoices they send out with the payment details for both my boat and fishing license if I ever do forget my wallet