Brisbane Water this morning

TheCount

First post with pics for me!!

Got to Woy Woy at 5 and a balmy 20 degrees = perfect.. Headed out to Half Tide Rocks and anchored real close to the rocks..

Had plenty of bites with prawn (Coles frozen peeled and local Hawkesbury) but kept getting busted off... I pulled out a new secret weapon - garlic marinated chicken breast strips and it is now my new favourite bait..

About 7am the sky was clearing and my hookup rate increased to land me what I think is a Red Rock Cod @ 38cm and a Bream @ 31cm.. Another 20 minutes of losing plenty of hooks and then a wonderful specimen decided to say Hi.. A Wobbegong that I cut loose (hook down throat) and he was definitely under 91cm even though I'd never think of keeping one..

The area went dead quiet about an hour after the tide change and the crowd rolled in so I went out to the oyster leases in Paddys Channel.. In about 2 hours I lost over a dozen hooks, lines, sinkers, but it taught me a very valuable lesson. Don't take 6lb leader to fight Bream! Most of my gear is 6lb and 8lb braid with the 6lb leader so I'll do some shopping tomorrow and get some 10 and 12 and go again.. My rods are a combination of home made by my Wife's Grandfather, 6' and 7', 1 with an Abu Garcia Cardinal small reel and the other with an old Daiwa 10 series..

I had a ball. By myself and the great outdoors. Also gave me a good chance to give the new boat stereo a thrashing. A Fusion MS-RA50 head end with Bose 131's to match and 80Gb of tunes..

BBQ at my place tonight!

post-13997-0-22198800-1443936287_thumb.jpg

post-13997-0-33383500-1443936710_thumb.jpg

post-13997-0-93043200-1443936763_thumb.jpg

post-13997-0-08987100-1443936812_thumb.jpg

post-13997-0-29071600-1443937564_thumb.jpg

post-13997-0-76587600-1443937596_thumb.jpg

Sounds like a great solo day on the water! The wirrah cod in the pic mightn't be the feed you were looking for. Terrible plate fish but the bream should make up for it!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Scratchie,

I have read that if you fillet and skin a boot they are pretty good.

I haven't brought my self to do it though.

Let me know how it tastes when you do!

JD

Hi there, you might want to reconsider using heavier mono, i have fished brisbane waters and i would not use anything heavier then 6lb for pan fish , its also part of the reason why you got so many bites, maybe you should pay more attention to your knots and your reel drag , also how long has it been snce you bought new line , most of us remove the line of our reels once a year or so , also next time you catch a large wirrah try steaming it with ginger and shallots ,