Hawkesbury River Prawn Availability

RexSenior

Hi Raiders

I'm wondering if anyone has any info on if Hawkesbury River prawns will be available fresh at the start of November?

I have a fishing trip coming up and they were up there with the best baits last time, just doubting the season will be started yet.

Looking at getting 5kg to keep us going, also wondering if the frozen Hawkesbury River prawns are worth a shot?

Any info would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers, James

I find the start of the season the prawns are a lot smaller, depends what your going to be fishing for. If using the whole prawn on the hook for flathead, i prefer the bigger ones so at the start of the season i try to get the frozen packs which may be from last season, but they're a lot bigger than the fresh ones at the start of the season. I've never had an issue with the frozen ones - they seem to freeze well, but look at them before you buy them. Occasionally they look white and dried and frostbitten and i would avoid those, but generally frozen are ok.

Thanks for the info Raiders that's great.

I'll have a scout around before we go for the fresh ones otherwise frozen sounds good - at least we can keep them in the freezer until just before use so they don't go bad.

Since learning how to catch beach worms I've steered well clear of frozen baits, so many fish-less trips! It would be a big time saver if I could find a decent frozen bait.

I'll post after the trip with how each bait went, thanks again.

Thanks for the info Raiders that's great.

I'll have a scout around before we go for the fresh ones otherwise frozen sounds good - at least we can keep them in the freezer until just before use so they don't go bad.

Since learning how to catch beach worms I've steered well clear of frozen baits, so many fish-less trips! It would be a big time saver if I could find a decent frozen bait.

I'll post after the trip with how each bait went, thanks again.

Freeze your own bait.

I catch a couple of tailor around the 35 to 40 cm mark, kill and bleed the fish and keep them cool. If tailor get too hot, the flesh turns a bit mushy.

Cut off the fillets, no need to remove the rib bones, lay them flesh side up in a glass dish and sprinkle with salt until a thin layer forms. Usually by the next day, a lot of moisture will be sitting in the bottom of the dish. Drain the moisture off, place each fillet into an individual plastic bag, or a zip lock bag, write the date on the bags and freeze. Have kept the fillets like this for more than 12 months.

Thaw out whatever fillets you will need (leave in the bag until you are fishing) and cut into strips about 1cm wide. Many fish will take these baits. Can also do the same for yellowtail or slimy mackerel. Also small tuna but will need 2 or 3 days in the salt before freezing tuna as they are thick fillets.