New to southern hemisphere, looking for fishing mates

AlaskaJeff

Greetings, I am new to Oz & Sydney (and Fishraider), and to fishing in warm waters. I grew up in the US state of Alaska, fishing in extremely cold salt water, ice fishing in lakes, and fishing rivers during the short summers. I am now living in Neutral Bay. I picked up a general purpose, medium-sized spinning rig to start exploring local land-based opportunities here. I also picked up an SUV, in hopes of beach/surf fishing and someday towing a boat, once I am more settled. I am hoping to tag along with someone here in my area, to learn a few fishing tips and areas. I am happy to provide the ride, gas & beer!

I do also have a nice, older original US-made Penn 704z spinning reel in amazing condition, to add to a surf rod, once I know more about what rod I need. I also brought over a small collection of US made Penn overhead reels, fully rebuilt, that my family fished with when I was growing up.

Let me know if you wouldn’t mind fishing beside a yank. I am totally clueless about catching fish here. I will of course be exploring this and other forums for tips and tricks.

Thanks,

Jeff​

Thanks welst!

Fishraider forum question....Why does it say "Pilchard" above my photo? Is that a rank that changes as I post more threads?

That's what it is based on how many posts you do. Some sections like swap and sell are not available until you have a minimum number and of posts.

I don't see it on my iPhone using google chrome

Edited by welst

G'Day Jeff & welcome to OZ & FISHRAIDER .... What the Pilchard that has been posted above your photo actually means , Is that before any FISHRAIDER takes you under his wing & shows you the ropes "You must first drink a Milkshake made of Pilchards & Milk " So when your up for a fishing outing just let me know & I'll be glad to show around ....... (I'll bring the Milk & Pilchards) .....LOL .......

Welcome to Australia Jeff and Fishraider, too. Exciting times ahead for you as you learn how to fish in a completely new environment. I hope some of our Sydney members offer to" show you the ropes". Make sure you have a NSW fishing license and ask about size and bag limits when you do get out there. I'll look forward to reading your posts and wish you GOOD LUCK with your fishing experiences. Cheers, Neil.

Hey Jeff, you don't need any other fishing forums to explore, Fishraider has everything you need to get you started, learning and progress you with all your fishing needs! Welcome, and feel free to ask whatever you want! If you travel to port Stephens, I'll be happy to have a yank! Lol :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I did manage to get out on Halloween. I hit Narrabeen lake and Milsons point (under the Harbour Bridge). Didn't know where to try at Narrabeen, and picked the bridge. I tried squid and pilchards. There were sooo many little bream stealing my bait that it got a bit frustrating. I did manage to hook one slightly larger one. I then headed back close to home and gave Milsons point a go. Saw several rays and caught another bream. The atmosphere was quite enjoyable as there were others fishing, and loud Halloween disco-party boats floating by. Then, I finally got a decent bite and landed my first flathead, just after dark. As soon as I got him in, fireworks went off over the Opera House. I returned the following weekend to land another flathead, but much smaller. Looking forward to more fishing soon, and very excited to try surf fishing!

Cheers,

Jp