Need to fix this

garfield28

Hi Raiders,

Went out for a fish yesterday and had a shocker!! First I lost my anchor, as the rope I joined it to come apart. So a guy I was out with suggested I throw a rope to his anchored boat and stay fishing like that. Well it was quite rough out yesterday and before I knew it I was drifting away from him and just thought the rope had come off his tie point or just fell off the bollard on my boat. I was wrong. I looked down at the front of my boat and notice the bloody bollard snapped off. I believe that bollard was probably never installed correctly from the start. I think it was only screwed in not bolted with a backing plate.

Anyhow I need to get it repaired so I can get back on the water and need a few opinions. I would like to repair it myself to save some coin and to get it done quicker, but don't really know how to, and also am worried it will look crap as there is like a textured pattern embedded into the fiberglass and I'd like to match it but wouldn't know if it's possible to do so DIY. If anyone has some advice if it can be done or if it can be fixed to the same as it was I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks

Geoff

post-32204-0-90932200-1445163456_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-88012400-1445163645_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-10488200-1445163705_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-13521900-1445163851_thumb.jpg

Edited by garfield28

Hi

sorry to hear about losing your anchor and the bollard coming off.

I recently added an extra one to mine. I cut out some rubber from a tyre tude I think it was and used that betweent he

bollard and the deck. Well, it was on to another piece of aluminium that is where my fill point is.

Underneath the decking, I glued a piece of plywood, so that when I put the bollard in, I could put long bolts in through

the deck, the bollard, the rubber and the ply. Seems to be quite strong

Depending on what you want to do. If you want it to look perfect, I'd take it to a fibreglass shop and get them to fix it.

If you want to save some money, I'd consider cutting the area out and tiding it up. I'd then glue a big piece of ply

underneath, fill in the cutout bit with epoxy and then put some more ply over the top. Paint it white, and then attach

your bollard with the bolt through both pieces of ply.

Do you have one of those renovator style tools? I found them pretty good for accurate cutting.

good luck

Edited by antonywardle

Hi Geoff sorry to say if it was my boat I'd spend the money and get it fixed by a professional as the pic shows stress fractures coming away from the screw holes thus would weaken the area. Plus may cause water ingress in ruff weather.

hope this helps

David

PS maybe check insurance as maybe covered by your policy

Thanks for the replies.

The bollard is in the drink in about 50 meters of water... it snapped off and went down with the rope.

Any rough idea what it might cost for this type of repair at the glass shop? And any chance I could claim repair of this and the cost of my anchor, anchor chain and rope, a long with the bollard?

Thanks

Geoff

How old is your boat? Is it still under warranty? If not I think it should be an insurance claim as I suspect the cost of a proper repair will exceed your excess. This is one bit of gear that you need to be able to rely on.

Plus one for Twinfisher - if you ever have engine issues, dragging anchor can be hazardous enough, but pulling the bollard out of the deck and free floating could be even worse. Get a repair done that you can have faith in.

Cheers

Yeah I need to decide if I want it to look cosmetically beautiful and matched in so get it done under insurance, or just do it myself have it structurally sound but not as nice looking.

I've never made a claim on boat insurance before, if I make this claim will they put my premium up - or jack up my excess if I have a future claim??