Port Hacking Sunday

Welster

Sometimes it's just plain torture waiting to get on the water. I had my eye on Sunday all week and for the first time in quite a while my Dad came along.

On the water before 7 and headed down stream, planning to keep it simple and just target flathead down south.

On the way out I pulled up thinking a little squidding might be a nice way to kick off. Started working the jigs and a little while later bang I'm on. This squid was pulling some drag and had some size about him. Dad wound in and grabbed the net. There was a good size follower behind. We missed the follower and I actually dropped my squid and recaught it in the confusion. End result one in the bag, sweet.

We started discussing if Dad had caught a squid before and he didn't think he had. A few minutes later he is on. This one was a little smaller but far more memorable. Whilst boatside in the water it shot it's ink covering dad and half the boat. How I wish now I took some pics. Needless to say I will have that image of squid ink in his ear for a long time and being the good son I am will remind often.

We moved on for the flathead and a little while after getting sorted and a couple of drops, Dad noticed the water boiling some distance off. We decided to chase so up the paternoster's came and the chrome twisty thrown on the squid rods. The water was alive with action, hardly a bird in sight we pulled up beside the school, they were moving quick so after a couple of dodgy casts we had to move.

Next time bang on target let it sink through the school a little and wind fast. Bang zzzz how great is that feeling. My 2-4 kg Starlo Stix, with 2500 symetre 6lb braid was singing.

The fish went down and was pulling hard, I added to the drag a few times although I was pretty confident in 25 metres with sand below. After providing plenty of excitement I boated a 65cm salmon.

We chased a little more but could keep up with them, so back to flattie fishing. In the end we just bagged two keepers.

On the way back we had a troll near the bommie and dad landed a 55 cm salmon this time on the heavier setup.

A brief stop near Yowie bay but just found the pickers so we called it a day. With 2 squid, 2 flatties and 2 salmon. Kept one. 462b74a74ae83f89fc2f876db792ffdc.jpgfdaa3f70ec87c56bda42ede6ba544340.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by welst

Great write up.

I got my old man onto squid for his first time a couple of years ago. Unfortunately I haven't managed to get him inked yet.

Dave

There's no fun in that. I hadn't been inked until a few months ago. One got me after just inking it seemed to have an endless supply. I was fishing by myself but I got the last laugh when I ate him.

There's no fun in that. I hadn't been inked until a few months ago. One got me after just inking it seemed to have an endless supply. I was fishing by myself but I got the last laugh when I ate him.

They say revenge is sweet... Did it taste better than the ones that didn't ink you?

Nice report Weist. Would be good fishing with the old man. Alas something I never got to do. Good onya.

Thanks Neal and it is good getting out with Dad. I know the feeling I promised a good mate a trip out all year. It required a weekday and I didn't make it happen ....

Nice report mate. Last time I took my dad out fishing he spewed every where. Couldn't stop. All the the way back to the boat ramp all over a lady that tried to help him out of the boat and in the car as well. We were only in the lake. Ha. He had vertigo or something like that. Well done.

Cheers Steve.

Nice report mate. Last time I took my dad out fishing he spewed every where. Couldn't stop. All the the way back to the boat ramp all over a lady that tried to help him out of the boat and in the car as well. We were only in the lake. Ha. He had vertigo or something like that. Well done.

Cheers Steve.

I bet the lady was regretting helping out!