First Decent Jew of the Season

Tag117

Hey guys,

Decided to head out for a quick jewie session yesterday. Was taking out a mate who hasn't fished a lot in the past. By the time i picked him up and we walked all the way to my spot, it was already well past 6. We got straight into the livie fishing, and it didn't go great. Then, right before sunset he managed a solid yakka and I got a herring. Hope!

We fished a bit for tailor on pillies and must have dropped 3 or 4 before the bite quietened down :ranting2: I decided to chuck out the yakka and within maybe 5 minutes of him being out, the rod began to buckle really slow. I was expecting a flatty or a smaller slower fish, right as i struck and was going to pass it off to my mate, the drag started screaming. We figured it was best i handled this one. It went on quite a few big runs and took me almost 5 minutes to bring in. A lot of excitement when we first saw the big fish. We finally got the big jew in the net, first time ive seen my net handle bend! Measuring in at 85cm and just under 8kg, solid fish, hopefully plenty more to come this season!

Edit: Forgot to mention, jewie was released, its close to breeding time for the fish, at the end of the day you sleep better knowing a big breeder is in the water rather than your fridge.

post-32294-0-08590000-1446173268_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tag117

Well done. Fantastic catch, the smile says it all. Good on you for releasing it.

Well done on the jew mate cracker fish to start the season.

Good job on the release aswell hoping to get into some my self soon.

-Jesso

Thanks a lot, i was as happy to release it as i was to catch it!

What a nice catch! Was that round the harbour or in another system? Not asking for your secret spot just a general area ;-)

Thanks mate! Was caught in Cowan creek

Edited by Tag117

were you using I was going to say.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I was using 30lb line, had big rig out in hopes of a much bigger jew :P nonetheless, he went like a monster, i don't know if i could have stopped him if he'd hit my 12lb outfit

Edited by Tag117

Thanks mate. I am having the opposite luck lately. They keep hitting the small setup 6kg and while it is some fun they eventually bust me off. With the time I get to go fishing happy to have some fun and get busted off than nothing at all. Tight lines Stu

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Don't talk to me. Fish whispering is cheating. ha! Well done bud, proud of you bro! Im more happy its "that" spot that worked out haha...was only a matter of time! We need to catch up soon dude! I miss getting stuck on rocks when the high tide comes in!

:P