Need help Testing 27mhz antenna

zmk1962

Hi Raiders,

Last few trips my 27mhz has gone silent... lights are on, some noise comes out of the speakers but cannot hear any chatter - so cannot even test I am transmitting.

There is lots of talk of 27mhz going away, I don't want to start spending lots on trying to get the 27mhz system working again. But since I did find it useful with clubs and colleagues on occasions I would like to do a basic test to figure out which component has failed - radio / cable / antenna.

I'm looking for someone in the Hills area that may have a 27mhz antenna with a base like the one in the picture - I would love to borrow it for a few hours to connect to my set up and check if I can hear anything - or score a radio check response.

PM me if you can help. Thanks Raiders...

post-20634-0-98436900-1446528968_thumb.png

Can you put your radio into "road mode" and keep scanning all channels to see if you pick up trucks passing by? I thought i was having issues to the point where 3 of us were using each others components to work out which one was wrong... turns out it was just a LOS issue with the 27mhz radio. All the original components worked fine on the water, but hardly anyone uses 27mhz anymore. I get a few weather reports and thats about it.

Otherwise go onto the water and call maritime for a radio check.

Hi Tef1on... Thanks for the reply. I am not hearing anything when on the water the last few trips - no weather nothing except radio "noise". Even in scan mode going through all the channels for hours at a time I am not picking up the weather etc etc. My conclusion was -- No point asking maritime for a radio check - as I would not hear the reply !

My set is an old GME GX300 unit... good call to check if it has a "road mode". I'll go and dig the manual out now. Cheers.

Yup. The unit had a "road mode" .... tried it... only to hear sweet sounds of radio static... so back to the drawing board and my original request. Anyone living in Hills area that has a GME 27mhz antenna that I may borrow for a few hours. Please PM me. Thanks Raiders.

• 3 months later...

Ok so I eventually managed to borrow an antenna that suits my base from a good friend and tested my 27mhz system - Sydney Marine Rescue reception was loud and clear at 12mile yesterday !!!

So now I am after a replacement 27mhz antenna.

Please PM me If anyone wants to sell theirs or knows where I can get one that has a base such as shown in the picture.

I'm pretty sure it was a GME but they don't seem to sell this model anymore.

Thanks.

post-20634-0-91284400-1456690197_thumb.png

Thanks locodave ... much appreciated !!

I have VHF installed as well - so this is very much an exercise to get the 27mhz working as cost effectively as possible.

I have PM'd Ian as well .... beep beep...dash...beep beep...

Cheers

Zoran

I got a replacement from Ian after an incident with my boat on a trailer and a tree

Works great

Only thing that now slightly annoys me, is that the antenna are colour coded

with red for VHF and green for 27mhz and mine are on the wrong side of the boat

My fault, I should have noticed earlier. Only fix is to move them and I don't really

want to go through the hassle

Still searching for a compatible 27mhz whip.

I have attached photos of mine - the logo on the base is KINGRAY which is now GME (and yes it looks like the new VHF AE30 base).

After much searching I have found that my 27mhz antenna is a GME AE60 ... so if anyone has one lurking in their shed that they no longer need - please PM me !!!

Cheers.

Zoran

post-20634-0-43754700-1457213596_thumb.jpg

post-20634-0-96858600-1457213605_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...

Hi , this topic was a few years ago and I was just browsing this topic due to I have the same issues. Radio is approx.a 2005 GME 27 meg. and the antenna is GME AE 60 with the same base as above. If anyone has one and has no need for it anymore I love to take it off your hands !!    Cheers Gaffa ...mobile...0410579430

7 minutes ago, gaffa said:

Hi , this topic was a few years ago and I was just browsing this topic due to I have the same issues. Radio is approx.a 2005 GME 27 meg. and the antenna is GME AE 60 with the same base as above. If anyone has one and has no need for it anymore I love to take it off your hands !!    Cheers Gaffa 

Edited by kingie chaser