Boat Cleaning Tips.

p-ziller

I don't see why not. Its just like washing it at home with a hose!

Wax the fiberglass, not anything with windows,grease or rollers.

I wash my boat at the ramp now. I take soap, a sponge and a hose... By the time I drive home the boats nice and dry and I can throw covers straight on it :D

Teflon is a trademarked DuPont product from memory.

Yep. Though it is simply a trade name for PTFE which is used in bearings, hose linings, bushes, cookware and even clothing (ever wondered what gore-tex waterproofing involves...)

Yeah it has a multitude of uses. Just don't burn it or overheat it as it emits formalthahyde. (Yep spelt it wrong). Used it for years as high temp abrahasive resistant tubing for jet engine wiring. The heat shrink tubing is excellent. And stretches with a little pull whist shrinking to give a really tight finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Ric001

Actually outboard manufacturers have some of their own protective sprays. Looks like this one might be the go. They don't say what's in it (I can't find an SDS), but it seems to have better properties than WD-40:

YamaShield is a combination of solvents, lubricants and waxes designed for penetration, moisture, displacement, lubrication and protection. It loosens rusty and corroded parts and dries to a thin, waxy film that clings to metal for months. Designed for long-term protection, this superior formulation is ideal for outboards, watercraft and other marine applications. It is safe on paints, plastics and vinyls.

I've shown the result of long term use of a product, not what I have heard or read. If someone has used another product for years it will add some real value to the discussion.

We can all Google up how good a manufacturers product is then find bad reviews about it.

Well you have asserted the effects of long term use - not shown, and going by your own experience as a mechanic. You don't say if you are a marine mechanic, or how you would know If you weren't specifically looking for the effects of WD-40 and at the same time knowing the long term history of a significant number of motors and how the owners looked after them.

Edited by billfisher

I use Inox (the Lanolin formula) on my outboard as previously described in the CRC post. I won't use WD40 or CRC due to the damage the petroleum will cause on the rubber fuel hoses etc.

I previously used WD 40 for this, and it did serve the purpose well. The oil coating stopped any tarnishing, but after a bit of research I realised the petroleum was problematic, and Inox is a better option and safer long term.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use Inox (the Lanolin formula) on my outboard as previously described in the CRC post. I won't use WD40 or CRC due to the damage the petroleum will cause on the rubber fuel hoses etc.

I previously used WD 40 for this, and it did serve the purpose well. The oil coating stopped any tarnishing, but after a bit of research I realised the petroleum was problematic, and Inox is a better option and safer long term.

Let me get this straight ... You guys are worried that the Petroleum in certain sprays will affect the rubber " FUEL " hoses ????? The hose is designed to carry FUEL !!!!! Our fuel comes from Petroleum !!!!!!!

Let me get this straight ... You guys are worried that the Petroleum in certain sprays will affect the rubber " FUEL " hoses ????? The hose is designed to carry FUEL !!!!! Our fuel comes from Petroleum !!!!!!!

There are rubber hoses carrying the cooling water and these won't be the same composition as fuel hoses. Then there are plastic parts of various composition, seal and gaskets as well as greased moving parts which may not react well with WD-40.

Hi 4myson, thanks for the chuckle due to stating the obvious. However there are some hoses like the water pressure hose for boat speed that is a clear hose on my boat that I would be very cautious about getting any solvent based fluid on even though it was fitted by the dealer. I think the genuine parts fitted by manufacturer would be OK as most of these are nitrile based hoses and fuel/oil resistant components and impervious to the effects of most solvents. That said I wouldn't be spraying a MEK ( mostly banned theses days) based lubricant on any part of my boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So back to the topic......

Warm water, soap and elbow grease!

Then sit back with a nice cold beer and remember the journey you just had and look forward to the next one! :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

You missed the part where you write a list of things you need to add or fix from the last trip :P

Fair call, I guess I was really referring to the air hoses and other plastic parts that may react badly to WD40. To be honest I don't know whether it could cause problems or not, but everything I've read indicates the Lanolin formulas definitely won't so better safe than sorry.

I did use WD40 for years on my 1985 Evinrude super 25 without any issues, but modern engines have lots more plastic and rubber than that ever did!

Edited by Tastee

Fair call, I guess I was really referring to the air hoses and other plastic parts that may react badly to WD40. To be honest I don't know whether it could cause problems or not, but everything I've read indicates the Lanolin formulas definitely won't so better safe than sorry.

I did use WD40 for years on my 1985 Evinrude super 25 without any issues, but modern engines have lots more plastic and rubber than that ever did!

I have had WD40 it eat away the rubber or plastic (I'm not sure of the composition) plug on my echo sounder, so that's why I'm wary of spraying it all over my motor. I think there are better products to use.

My two cents worth (but you cant get them any more so my information is probably equally worthless). I would only ever use WD40 for a squeaky door hinge and never near my boat. Inox in my opinion is the better option. Someone also suggested rinsing their reels under the water outlets from the outboard whilst flushing it.......you are flushing the motor to eradicate saltwater so you are in fact washing your reels (though in diluted) salt water. Can I suggest, never use a hose or water under pressure on your valuable reels. A light wipe over with warm soapy water and the dry off and leave somewhere to air dry. And perhaps a very light spray with Inox!