Boat Harbour/Nelson Bay this weekend!

Burger

Heading up to Boat Harbour, near Nelson Bay this weekend with a few guys I used to play tennis with many years ago.

Couple of us enjoy our fishing and am after any pointers that fellow raiders may choose to share!

We'll be land based and I know the Nelson Bay breakwall can be a good spot, if a bit crowded.

I'm wondering what species may be biting at the moment.

I don't mind a spot of blackfishing and know that good weed locations are a more closely guarded secret than the combo to the safe they keep the Crown Jewels in . . . so, if any kind soul wishes to share a spot where I can collect a little, I promise to keep it to myself! :)

cheers,

stu.

Hey stu,

Nice part of the world to travel too! :)

The flatty have started to chew around the bay and I've seen some good catches of whiting from the same areas. Corlette beach is always worth a shot on high tide, as well as taylors beach.

You can pump nippers in those locations if you don't like using sp's.

The stones off boat harbour haven't been productive of late but there are some nice squid around telegraph point and noamunga. The left hand side of noamunga point will yield you some cabbage and you can also find some at cemetery point, Anna bay.

Anything you need to know just ask!

Cheers scratchie!!!

As Scatchie says the flatties are on he chew - I was up at Nelsons last weekend and had a real quick session (1 hour between 7-00 and 8-00am) landbased early on Sat morning - happy to report 2 good flatties (50cm and 75cm ) caught off the beach very close to the marina - just using one of the new eco gear bream vibes cast out between the weed patches - also scored a just legal whiting.

Cheers Blood Knot

Thanks for that info guys!! Looks like being a bit damp.

However we'll have a great time, just being away from the madness of Sydney for a few days . . . !

Haven't tried SP's so will prob give that a go for a bit of a change!

Edited by Burger

Had a great time with the lads, found some noice cabbage (thanks scratchie!), fishing was quiet yet relaxing and enjoyable.

Fished Birubi Point and the breakwall, where I captured this fella.

image.jpg

Good stuff mate! Yeah, the weather wasn't great. At least you managed to get a line wet! The last two days have been exceptional though! :)

Well done on the fish mate!!

Just a tip for the next time you're up there. Fish the breakwall just before it slightly bends (just before the footpath starts) on the open water side. Weed generally will see you get into more blackfish than cabbage. Fish on a rising tide and burley up with some sand and weed, you should land a few blackfish and if you're lucky you will get smashed by a few decent drummer that frequent the wall.

Cheers Joe

Cheers Joe, I was planning to take weed up with us however ran out of time to grab some so made do with local cabbage as bait and in the berley. Was raining/drizzling on/off and really slippery on the wall!

Think there was a fella fishing where you mentioned and didn't see anyone else catch anything in the coupla hours we were there.

Got a couple of other downs however was too early in trying to set the hook, they were REALLY timid.

The one I got had quite a few plays before VERY gently taking it down. Gave him about 5 secs before setting the hook.

Weather was OK Scratchie . . . we really only got wet one day .. . had too good a time and cant actually remember whether that was Sunday or Monday!! Was interesting watching the rain cells move up and across the Bay.

We were down the beach, did too much eating and drinking, the others went for a coupla bike rides . . . great part of the world you get to live in!

cheers,

stu.