Hawkesbury River slow start - great finish!

RexSenior

Hi Raiders

Just a quick report from a 3 day trip to the Hawkesbury (Little Wobby) this week.

Our last trip was a ripper in May and we anticipated the fishing to be even better now however this was not the case!

Managed a few flatties (up to 53cm) and bream (up to 38cm) for a feed but in general there was a lot of waiting with not much going on.

As we were land based in an area with no access other than by ferry we persisted - most fish were caught on cheap cooked prawns from Woolies despite there being ample recently caught Hawkesbury River prawns being flung out. Crab pots were out in force with not a single touch!

Not sure if it was the recent rain or large amount of phosphorous in the water but we were struggling!

Last night my uncle landed a 55cm jew yet again on cooked prawns, I stayed up late without a decent hit in a few hours and finally the rod buckled after throwing out a poorly presented slab of tailor (coupled with ,around 200g of lead to keep it down with the racing outgoing tide).

After a short yet solid fight we had an 82cm Jewy in the net, my first over legal size.

Cheers, James

post-24974-0-73651800-1447396548_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scratchie