fiberglassing problem

garfield28

Hi All,

I decided to try and fix my ripped off bollard myself. I started to sand back etc yesterday to star the repair. All looked to be OK and I was confident I could probably do the job no dramas, but once I got the dremel tool to open up the old screw holes I came across some worrying signs. I discovered that there were some old screw holes, so my guess is the last owner had lost a bollard also but failed to fix it properly. When I started using the dremel to open up the old screw holes, there was what appears to be wet and very soft wood. I gather it is wood that is sandwiched between the fiberglass in that part of the boat to add strength for the bollard etc. Anyhow I'm not sure what I should do now.... I'm not sure if I should give it to the professionals now to get it looked at properly, or cut the fiberglass back in that area and then re-glass it. I'm concerned If I try and give it to a professional now that I'll not be able to get it done under insurance as I have started to try and repair it.

The wood I pulled out of the hole yesterday is completely dry now as it has sat there since yesterday, but the remainder inside the hole is still quite wet. I know there is a product that can be bought for rotted wood around window ledges, it hardens soft rotted wood, not sure if this application would work in this instance, but any advice really appreciated.

I have attached a few pictures of the troubled area, and also some from underneath which shows what I believe is the thickness of a piece of wood sandwiched between the fiberglass.

Thanks heaps

Geoff

post-32204-0-57785700-1447747954_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-58664500-1447748010_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-15723000-1447748041_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-90014800-1447748126_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-09099700-1447748192_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-70697600-1447748231_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-51355000-1447748263_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-75384900-1447748321_thumb.jpg

post-32204-0-42031100-1447748376_thumb.jpg

I would get out my heat lamps and heat the area of the bow to help dry the underlying timber then repair as normal.But since people don't have those lying around a heat gun or hair dryer may do.You could leave it out on the scorcher on Friday facing directly into the sun all day also.

It's hard to tell how bad the timbers been affected by looking at photos but in short the best thing to do is grind the glass back to fresh timber and replace any rotted out areas and Reglass over.

If that was my boat I'd reinforce the bollard top/bottom with a plate for added strength.

In regards to getting if fixed you'll proberbly have to pay out of your own pocket now you've messed with it unless you get a good shop.

Other people here will offer better advice than I have hopefully.

Goodluck.

I would get out my heat lamps and heat the area of the bow to help dry the underlying timber then repair as normal.But since people don't have those lying around a heat gun or hair dryer may do.You could leave it out on the scorcher on Friday facing directly into the sun all day also.

It's hard to tell how bad the timbers been affected by looking at photos but in short the best thing to do is grind the glass back to fresh timber and replace any rotted out areas and Reglass over.

If that was my boat I'd reinforce the bollard top/bottom with a plate for added strength.

In regards to getting if fixed you'll proberbly have to pay out of your own pocket now you've messed with it unless you get a good shop.

Other people here will offer better advice than I have hopefully.

Goodluck.

Thanks Fab1

Yeah the last bloke that owned it obviously had a problem with the bollard and replaced it with the one I had, but failed to put a backing plate underneath and failed to weatherproof it properly when he put this one on.

The wood that is in there is fairly soft and almost came out in a mud type of consistency, and you could squeeze the moisture/water out from it. The stuff I got out and left over night was rock hard the next day, but I doubt it would be as structurally sound as it once was.

As Fab1 said the next 3 days are going to be 35+ degrees get it in the sun. That should dry it out good.

Thanks mate.... you seriously think that would be good enough?

Leaving it out in this mini heatwave we are supposed to have can only help. Wether it's good enough to dry it out who knows. Run a drill through it on the weekend not too big and check the wood for dryness with the wood that stays in the drill bit. Scratchies on the money Fab1 will steer you right.

You should have went with insurance geoffro! You've opened a can of worms now! Fab1 is a knowledgable bloke and will steer you in the right direction.

Cheers scratchie!!!

I know mate, but I started to think it would be less hassle to do it myself and I'd have the boat finished and on the water earlier.

Same answer as last time you posted!

That Anchor / Bollard may one day save your life.

Fix it fixed properly not a hope it's OK!

JD

I don't want a "I hope it's OK job" either mate

Leaving it out in this mini heatwave we are supposed to have can only help. Wether it's good enough to dry it out who knows. Run a drill through it on the weekend not too big and check the wood for dryness with the wood that stays in the drill bit. Scratchies on the money Fab1 will steer you right.

I've checked it this arvo after work and she's as dry as a &^%$ c#%!. It all feels quite firm in there now and there seems to be no moisture. Should I now maybe inject an epoxy or something to fill it and harden, and then glass up as I was going to do - As well as also putting a backing plate underneath the new bollard?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Geoff

I know mate, but I started to think it would be less hassle to do it myself and I'd have the boat finished and on the water earlier.

I don't want a "I hope it's OK job" either mate

I've checked it this arvo after work and she's as dry as a &^%$ c#%!. It all feels quite firm in there now and there seems to be no moisture. Should I now maybe inject an epoxy or something to fill it and harden, and then glass up as I was going to do - As well as also putting a backing plate underneath the new bollard?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Geoff

I've sent you a Pm mate.

Hopefully what I suggest helps you out.

Cheers.