Winch Issue

Grug85

Hi all,

I recently purchased a new Atlantic marine trailer winch with webbing.

I Installed it on the trailer then noticed that when I release the the little lever (i thinks its called the pawl lever), the winch does not free spool, it appears to be seized up?

The winch is fresh out of the box so not sure how it could be seized, or am I missing something simple?

I can wind the webbing out manually by winding backwards but I thought it should pull off easily with lever disengaged.

with all my body weight (90kg) i can only just pull it out but im thinking something is a miss.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers, Craig

Hiya Craig

Does your winch have a bit of a cover on one side of the winch drum ? As I am thinking you may have bought a brake winch (has a brake so as the load is released progressively/steadily) if this is the case you may be able to "back off" the braking force so you get something approaching free spool. Put up a pic of the winch so we can see what you are dealing with mate

Cheers

Blood Knot

Thanks for the responses guys.

Blood knot - Definitely not a brake winch.

Antonywardle - Definitely not on backwards

NaCIH2OK9 - I will upload some photos in the next couple of days, the boat is at my brothers house at the moment. I have attached the image form the website for now.

post-35921-0-29159800-1448428612_thumb.png

I am also waiting to hear back from the manufacturer to see what they have to say!

Cheers

Hi Craig. I know with my winch that it takes a fair bit of effort to pull the webbing off the spool. I do find if I give the handle a bit of a nudge it will start to move and I'm in a similar weight class you mentioned. Once the initial inertia and the handle starts to spin all is good. It a hassle when at the end of the trailer and I need an extra foot of Webb to make the hook up. Ric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Ric,

Yeah I figured the weight off the boat would be enough to get it off the trailer when launching. Like you said I was more concerned about retrieving and getting a bit of extra length off if needed, dont want be running up to the winch to wind it off each time!

I spoke to the manufacturer today and they said it should free spool easily when lever is released, they are not sure how/why it is seized straight out of the box but they are sending me a new one for free so I'm happy with that!

They dont even want the original back.... gotta love aussie companies with good customer service and a 'no probs' attitude!

Lets hope the new one works lol

Cheers,

Craig

Mate,I had a similar issue on my winch when new.

Mine was caused by bad galvanising where a run in the galvanising had set like stone binding the drum to the winch housing.

The trusty makita angle grinder fixed it in no time.Also check that the actual body or drum of the winch isn't bent and binding with one another and the shafts for the drum/gear are straight..And it won't hurt to lube all points on the winch(I use lithium grease spray)but any marine grease will do.

Here's mine it looks similar to yours and after doing all that I have to hold the boat on the trailer to prevent it self launching.

Good luck with it and if this is your issue now you'll have a spare.post-20199-0-76462100-1448458672_thumb.jpgpost-20199-0-26551100-1448458713_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

So I received the replacement and it free spools no dramas, there was definitely something wrong with the original causing it to bind.

Thanks for the ideas and advice.

On another note anyone got suggestions on how to permanently attach the handle?

It freaks me out having it loose, knowing me I will lose it or forget it rendering the winch useless and me red faced!

Well I left my winch handle behind last week

I ended up putting the trailer in a lot deep that usual and was able to get the boat

most of the way on, then a guy on the ramp happened to walk past with a handle

so I was luck

the other thing to check is that your wheel brace will

probably have the right size, assuming you've got one of those

4 way style ones. Otherwise, check the one in your car.

Probably worth getting a 4 way one so that you can do your

trailer wheels too. Mine fits, but I'd cleaned out my car and that

came out.

I think some people drill a hole and put a split pin in, and others leave theirs in the anchor

well. Neither is an option for me.

I keep two handles. One in the car and one in the boat. If you can leave it in your anchor well then that is fine. That is if you have a closing anchor well and no winch in the way.

Otherwise I have seen people tie there handle with wire attached to a screw.

UPDATE

So I received the replacement and it free spools no dramas, there was definitely something wrong with the original causing it to bind.

Thanks for the ideas and advice.

On another note anyone got suggestions on how to permanently attach the handle?

It freaks me out having it loose, knowing me I will lose it or forget it rendering the winch useless and me red faced!

Have it welded on.Other options drill and roll pin through shaft,tap and die then bolt and washer,the choice is yours.

I have the same problem with losing a winch handle, it's so easy to do after having a boat with a fixed handle.

I've thought about pinning it on as well, but I really like being able to quickly change to the other ratios.

I keep a spare in the boat with the spare bungs and a few other things.

Craig as soon as I saw the pic you posted ( I have the same winch ) I thought your next problem will be loosing the stupid non attached winch handle.

I ended up drilling and tapping the end of the winch shaft, loctited a 6mm stainless stud in the end of the spindle drilled out the end of handle 6.5 m, and the secured the handle to the spindle with a flat stainless washer and 6mm nylock nut. I filled the square drive end up with grease before fitting the handle to prevent the onset of corrosion that begins as soon as your expose / create any non galvanised metal ( ie: by drilling holes in your winch parts). I found the direct drive shaft useless (or more correctly never used) so was happy to fasten on the low geared one

Cheers Blood Knot

• 3 weeks later...