Soft plastic techniques

will_l

Hi,

I'm not sure wether SP retrieval techniques are regarded as much of a secret as certain fishing spots are, so excuse me if they are. I'm looking to get into some soft plastic's for kingies and have a few jerk shad's coming in 5" and 7" however for use around the harbour markers etc whats regarded as the most common technique for retrieval? A lot of people seem to have different ones.

On a side note, what weight of a jig head should I be using for the harbour markers? In waters about 20m-10m

Thanks a lot,

Will

When fishing harbour markers, we normally use 3/8 head but have gotta away with using 1/4 on the lighter gear with not much issue, also depending on current might even go 1/2 oz. For the technique, we normally let it hit the bottom, then quick short rips of the rod all the way up

We have also even got them chucking a 1/12 jig heads with 3" plastics at the marker and let it sink about 3-5m down and get them near the surface

Here is a video me and Seamus uploaded to YouTube a while back getting kings on plastics on a harbour marker, hope this helps!

Cheers Gianni

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When fishing harbour markers, we normally use 3/8 head but have gotta away with using 1/4 on the lighter gear with not much issue, also depending on current might even go 1/2 oz. For the technique, we normally let it hit the bottom, then quick short rips of the rod all the way up

We have also even got them chucking a 1/12 jig heads with 3" plastics at the marker and let it sink about 3-5m down and get them near the surface

Here is a video me and Seamus uploaded to YouTube a while back getting kings on plastics on a harbour marker, hope this helps!

Cheers Gianni

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Awesome video mate, thats what I want to be doing soon haha.

Order'd some 3/8 oz and 1/2 oz heads

Thanks a lot,

Will

Ive been using 3/8 and the seem to get the bottom most of the time around the markers but i might also might try a few 1/2 for the days with more current . Use mostly 5 inch jerk shad or minnows but recently had some luck with some squid vicious jigged off the bottom .

i spent last years summer susing out boating in general and the harbour. Plan on targeting kings around these areas so i may see you out there !!!!

Cheers Bill

Ive been using 3/8 and the seem to get the bottom most of the time around the markers but i might also might try a few 1/2 for the days with more current . Use mostly 5 inch jerk shad or minnows but recently had some luck with some squid vicious jigged off the bottom .

i spent last years summer susing out boating in general and the harbour. Plan on targeting kings around these areas so i may see you out there !!!!

Cheers Bill

Sounds good.

Also speaking of 1/2oz do you guys mean 5/8oz? I cant seem to find and 1/2oz.

• 5 months later...

Can I bump this thread.

Still not having a huge amount of luck with the kings and I'm narrowing it down to my technique being the problem. I rig the SP's so they swim straight. Not using overly heavy leader (15lb) and going as light as I can with the jig heads. I just do a continuous jerk up, single wind, repeat all the way back to the boat. I'm going well with all other species on SP's..

Does this sound right? It doesn't take long to have the lure back at the boat and I let it sink down a fair a bit.

Thanks a lot,

Will

Edited by will_l

Get yourself a Micro Jigging Rod like a Gomoku. Put on a 1/2 - 5/8 Jig head. IMO having a light jig head when Jigging for legal Kings makes no difference. I fish with my mate who goes light and we have the same hook up rate and he is a much better plastics/jig fisherman than I am. And he has beautiful Rods and Reels and I am pretty budget when it comes to rods and reels. My boat gets anything it needs however.

I put a Squidgy 70ml Flickbait. This seems to also work well on Salmon who are being fussy and only eating whitebait Don't ask me why. All those I have met that knew why, I ate. :mfr_lol: However, be warned. This set up won't get Bonito as a by-catch but lighter heads and smaller lures will.

When you Jig think about what your lure looks like. You want the actions to be fluid like a living creature, have some realistic pulses that are in time with each other. Don't aimlessly jig and wind. Use the force. This is why a micro jigging rod works so well as you always have contact with the line. Some, not all, Soft Plastic rods don't keep in good contact with the line throughout the entire jig movement. You want that flick and pulse to really trigger the GO action in a King. He has to be convinced it's the real deal.

Good luck. If you get the right action your catch rate will remarkably improve.

Oh, best time is Sparrows Fart. Early early. Or if you see schools follow them and get close enough to cast onto the edges of the school. This is golden if you can find a work up that keeps on the surface.

Use variations ii.e. When you cast, cast out in the direction you are heading. Jig Jig Jig until you feel you are 3/4 up then let it drop again and repeat. or Jig all the way to the boat from the bottom, from mid water from the surface etc etc

Get yourself a Micro Jigging Rod like a Gomoku. Put on a 1/2 - 5/8 Jig head. IMO having a light jig head when Jigging for legal Kings makes no difference. I fish with my mate who goes light and we have the same hook up rate and he is a much better plastics/jig fisherman than I am. And he has beautiful Rods and Reels and I am pretty budget when it comes to rods and reels. My boat gets anything it needs however.

I put a Squidgy 70ml Flickbait. This seems to also work well on Salmon who are being fussy and only eating whitebait Don't ask me why. All those I have met that knew why, I ate. :mfr_lol: However, be warned. This set up won't get Bonito as a by-catch but lighter heads and smaller lures will.

When you Jig think about what your lure looks like. You want the actions to be fluid like a living creature, have some realistic pulses that are in time with each other. Don't aimlessly jig and wind. Use the force. This is why a micro jigging rod works so well as you always have contact with the line. Some, not all, Soft Plastic rods don't keep in good contact with the line throughout the entire jig movement. You want that flick and pulse to really trigger the GO action in a King. He has to be convinced it's the real deal.

Good luck. If you get the right action your catch rate will remarkably improve.

Oh, best time is Sparrows Fart. Early early. Or if you see schools follow them and get close enough to cast onto the edges of the school. This is golden if you can find a work up that keeps on the surface.

Use variations ii.e. When you cast, cast out in the direction you are heading. Jig Jig Jig until you feel you are 3/4 up then let it drop again and repeat. or Jig all the way to the boat from the bottom, from mid water from the surface etc etc

Thanks a lot for that great write up.

Thats the goal, I want to get a gomoku and do some jigging - not even for specifically targeting legal kings but too go for bonnies, snapper etc as well. I'm planning to head to the tackle shop next weekend.

I've heard a little more about specific ways to work SP's recently so I'm keen to give a few different techniques a go over the coming weeks.