Fish handling guide?

adamski

Hey folks,

I know that when I hold a fish for a photo I should use wet hands, place it on a wet surface when measuring and try not to rub off too many scales. I also know I really ought to buy an enviro net...

... But I was wondering: can anyone can point me in the direction of a general guide for handling individual species when caught? I've noticed with some species (e.g. trevs, and kingies), fishermen put their thumb in the fish's soft mouth and bring down the lower lip, but with toothier fish (e.g. bream or jewies) they tend to grab the fish by one gill. Is there a general rule for establishing what is least damaging/traumatic to the fish?

I ask because most of the fishing I do these days is C&R and I want to cause the least trauma to the fish as possible whilst still getting the best photo.

Cheers,

Adam

Firstly I will say sticking your fingers in a fishes Gills and using that as your method is not good for the fish. Would you like a giant to grab you around the neck and suspend you to pose for a photo? That's their breathing apparatus. Not aimed at you directly, I'm just generally putting it out there.

Iv found if you're slow and deliberate, you can gently raise fish like bream, whiting, black drummer, fish of that general size, by cradling their under side and letting them sit in your hand, especially after a fight when they're a bit knackered. Don't try and grasp the fish between your thumb and fore finger, can gain a nasty deep gash in either like I did. I almost feel like Steve Irwin (when he was a alive) when I have a fish sitting obediently in my palm posing for a photo.

Fish like kings and salmon, same thing, support its underside, only difference is I use my other hand to grasp the tail.

I don't like handling flathead, I try and use a rag, iv been stabbed a few times by the spikes on the side of its head, if I do have to handle one, I let it settle half a minute after the fight,if I don't have lip grips, I put my thumb in its mouth and grasp the skin of the jaw between my thumb and fore finger, and support its weight in the other hand, might get a free scratches on your thumb, but nothing to bad if you don't clamp it's actual teeth.

I never hold a fish by the bottom lip. It might ache a bit with a hook in the mouth, but then pulling down the bottom lip seems a bit much. (grab your missus by the bottom jaw, and I'm sure you will get a kick in the 'jatz crackers' for your trouble)

As for the toothy fish (tailor, jewies, pike) my fingers are nowhere need the teeth, except when removing the hook.

Always use wet hands to hold a fish. Some fish do struggle a bit and may lose a few scales in the process. Better to use both hands for a larger fish.

Hey folks,

I know that when I hold a fish for a photo I should use wet hands, place it on a wet surface when measuring and try not to rub off too many scales. I also know I really ought to buy an enviro net...

... But I was wondering: can anyone can point me in the direction of a general guide for handling individual species when caught? I've noticed with some species (e.g. trevs, and kingies), fishermen put their thumb in the fish's soft mouth and bring down the lower lip, but with toothier fish (e.g. bream or jewies) they tend to grab the fish by one gill. Is there a general rule for establishing what is least damaging/traumatic to the fish?

I ask because most of the fishing I do these days is C&R and I want to cause the least trauma to the fish as possible whilst still getting the best photo.

Cheers,

Adam

Good question adamski

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/saltwater/catch-and-release

There is a 33 page booklet there that covers off everything

I don't like handling flathead, I try and use a rag, iv been stabbed a few times by the spikes on the side of its head, if I do have to handle one, I let it settle half a minute after the fight,if I don't have lip grips, I put my thumb in its mouth and grasp the skin of the jaw between my thumb and fore finger, and support its weight in the other hand, might get a free scratches on your thumb, but nothing to bad if you don't clamp it's actual teeth.

I do grab hold of a flattie to unhook (except the bigger ones as those side spikes do hurt)

Fingers under the head and thumb on top, with the webbing of the hand behind the side head spikes. Grab quickly and firmly, and it does take practice. Try it with a dead flattie first!

I do cop the occasional hit from the head spikes, but it is part of fishing

Good question adamski

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/saltwater/catch-and-release

There is a 33 page booklet there that covers off everything

Most note worthy:

GUT HOOKED FISH, SHED HOOKS AND SURVIVE

Don't try and be a surgeon and get back your 20c hook, snip the line off close to the mouth and send the fish back. The more you think about it, the less chance that fish has of survival

For flatties I will probably get scrutinized here but normally using a rag for extra grip I'll grip them just behind the head with my thumb pressing on the spine. I generally don't have to do this as most I can release without using pressure like that but it really does help when you're bait bashing and there's a flatty going nuts in the bottom of the tinnie.

Other fish I will hold in my hand supporting their stomach and fish like bass I'll generally hold them with my thumb in their mouth and my other hand supporting their belly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk