Unusual water colour in Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed down to my mother's place on Gunnamatta Bay this morning at the top of the tide - a big high tide at that, so plenty of water coming in from the ocean.

The water was a slightly cloudy green colour, very unusual to see that after a big run up tide, it should be very clear water. At this time of year, I usually see a few bream, blackfish or sea mullet swimming over the sand on the high tide, but not a fish to be seen anywhere.

When I was fishing the deep water in Yowie Bay a couple of days ago, at the end of the run-up tide, the water there had a murky colour to it, as did the deeper water out from Lilli Pilli.

Maybe algae in the water causing the fish to go off the bite. A good flush of rain should sort it out, but cannot see any heavy rain for some time on the forecast.

Edited by yowie

Botany Bay was murky last week after the end of the run in. More so than I would of expected. The fishing was quiet for me and the kids, in over an hour we never landed a squid drifting, and after heaps of burley at anchor we managed 1 40cm tailor.

Water has been abit murky, but I don't think it should put the fish off, still plenty of baitfish around

I've seen the baitfish schools about in different places, but nothing really chasing them. They are just having swimming practice.

The water temp was down around 20.5 too. I know it's a different system but I expected better near Kurnell after the run in.

Had a swim earlier in the week at Elouera Beach, and felt some colder patches of water in the surf. Definitely colder by around the 3 to 4 degree mark, very noticeable just moving a few metres through the surf.

Very strong westerly winds were I've been today, If it blows hard enough the surface water can be pushed out to sea and you can get an up welling of cooler subsurface water.

Some boaties like it but I used to rockhop a bit and never caught much when the westerly blew, maybe its the barometer I don't know.