Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out of Port Hacking at first light this morning for something different.

Tried a squid jig for a while around the mouth for nothing. When the light appeared a bit more, tried a lure and hooked up to a nice tailor, but the hook pulled right beside the boat. A couple of more hits a little while later, but dropped both, then hooked the bottom is shallow water and lost that lure. Was a new metal design from Halco, but the treble does not stay hooked. Might have to swap it for a single larger hook.

Headed out for a flattie drift, but there was no wind and no drift for a few hours. Dropped the bait onto 2 flatties and the pike in that time - it was a matter of moving around with the motor then dropping over and hoping for a hit. About 9am a slight breeze started up to produce a very slow drift, but it produced the other flatties. Only small blue spots, plus a few just undersized ones as well.

During the calm period, I could see hundreds of small jellyfish under the boat, the small ones that don't have any tentacles.

Also had a number of schools of pillies splashing around the boat and feeding on tiny fish. Tried to burley them into biting but no luck. Nothing chasing them either until a pod of dolphins turned up when the wind started. The dolphins were ripping and tearing into the schools right beside the boat at one stage.

Small fillets, but better than nothing. The pike fillets will be salted for bait.

post-13153-0-81442000-1449463172_thumb.jpg

You didn't just say "out of the hacking for something different?". Lol. We know your the only bloke on the hacking with a moored tinny! Lol :)

Certainly, the last 3 days have been tough going and when I see your brag mat not full, I don't feel so bad! Maybe next week, or tomorrow for the retired ones!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Had a tough day Sunday myself. Thought I'd run around from Cronulla to Botany so the kids could get a few blue swimmers. Hard work and big crowds produced 3 crabs a whiting and a squid. Noreaster blew up and was drifting at 1.5 knots but a pleasant day anyway.

Yowie can I ask what you do with the Pike? They do make good swim baits for Marlin but noticed you bled that one so was wondering.

Had a tough day Sunday myself. Thought I'd run around from Cronulla to Botany so the kids could get a few blue swimmers. Hard work and big crowds produced 3 crabs a whiting and a squid. Noreaster blew up and was drifting at 1.5 knots but a pleasant day anyway.

Yowie can I ask what you do with the Pike? They do make good swim baits for Marlin but noticed you bled that one so was wondering.

The pike swallowed the hook, stuck in the gills, so kept it. Cut off the fillets, into salt, and later the freezer. Will use them next time out for flatties.

The fillets actually looked pretty good, nice clean white meat, but, there is that pikey smell to them. Ate a few when I was a kid, fairly edible. I occasionally catch a snook in the Port, they taste slightly better than the yellow finned pike.

Well done Yowie. It's tough going but a session on the water and keepers is a result.

Ill miss the hacking and look forward to your frequent report to remind me of the beautiful place.

Steve

Seem to remember that you were moving somewhere else.

So were you out there in the tinny??

I have changed all my small metals to a single hook, so much easier imo.

Yep, take the tinny out there.

I usually change to a single hook, but this was a new lure. A Halco Outcast 20 gram, casts like a bullet. I used to use Limerick style hooks, because they had a bigger eye, but a bit hard to find these days. Yesterday I found a Decoy brand hook (Japanese) with a very large eye. Will give these a try.

Nice report Yowie

Nothing to complain about there - Flathead in Newcastle are approaching $50kg for fillets which means if I want flathead for dinner I need to catch the buggers!

A bit rude for flattie fillets, but have seen them in southern Sydney around that price at times. The fillets are usually skinned and boneless.