Distance to swivel

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Hi Raiders,

Lately I've been targeting kings from the rocks (caught my first rat last night! Woohoo).

I've been using lures on braided line. I use anywhere between 3 to 5 metres fluro as connected using an FG knot. Given I have this much fluro, can I get away with a short distance to the swivel? I'm using both a crane swivel and brass barrel swivel and the distance to the lure is only 15cm. It's easier to cast long distances this way but I'm worried the fish will see the swivels and not bite.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by Guest123456789

Congrats on your first King !! I've always heard from fishos that the length of your leader to swivel should be the same length as the fish your targeting ...(Think BIG , 1 meter long leader for that 1 meter KING !!! ...LOL...)

Guest Guest123456789

Thanks for the input guys.

I use a rapala loop knot to connect the lure. Can I just connect this straight to a crane swivel (no leader)?

Tyrone if you spin braid without a swivel you will get line twist sure as houses. I'd be too busy fixing line to focus on catchimg all those amazing kingfish from Avoca rocks.

Edited by Guest123456789

I've always been of the belief that your leader should be one and half times the length of your rod. Your trace varies depending on your method, bait, live baiting etc. If your throwing lures, I always tie it straight though to the leader.

Cheers scratchie!!!

I usually use fins braid straight through to a fluoro leader and throw everything from metals, plastics, stick baits and poppers and have never had an issue with line twist etc. Been a few good kings being caught down there, have had a few we couldn't stop even on 80lb leader should only get better from here on in ince the warm current arrvies

Yes I agree with the other guys. I used to use a locking clip swivel to make it easier to change lures. I then changed to tieing direct I would have to say it works better. Still playing with the rapala knot to see if that adds better action. Concerned with abrasion on the loop though. In the past I have used about a meter of flouro as i did not want to run the knot through the runners as i had alot of air knots and with this still had good hookups. Now that I have learned to tie the FG knot recently I will try to see how this goes.

I find the more action you can put on the lure the better slow, fast, stop, stop, quick, jerk, jerk, rod high, rod low. Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Guest Guest123456789

Thanks guys. I used a rapala knot, no trace straight to crane swivel this arvo. Worked great for me, the action of the lure was good, the fish still took it and no line twist. Best of all swapping lures was easy, just unsnap the crane and connect the new lure. Second best of all, I could toss the thing a country mile.

Edited by Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Thanks guys based on your advice I've decided to ditch the rapala knot. Crane swivel straight to the lure. Where I fish there is a heap of waves, wind and current, trust me when I say you get line twist sure as houses without a swivel when spinning. Let's see how we go.