Transducer installation

VViCKiD

Hi guys,

I've just recently installed a Airmar TM260 (transom mount) and I'm losing bottom at about 20 knots. From what I hear, at this speed, this should not be a problem. I believe I' followed airmar's installation instructions. Can anyone offer some advice as to what's wrong ?

Any help would be much appreciated ! :)

Here are some pics of the installation:

M4SJ14R.jpg

P0IctUy.jpg

fA1zoQL.jpg

Port Side

bNg1puQ.jpg

bz88Og2.jpg

Starboard Side

Oewc3Ii.jpg

The best way I found to set up a transducer is on the water through trial and error.Do these things one at a time followed by a water test on the plane.

-Raise/lower the transducer slightly(losing signal at speed normally requires lowering the transducer to make clean contact with the water).

-Tilt the transducer up/down slightly(normally you need to tilt the trailing edge down a few degrees).

-Sometimes you require a new mounting position depending on your hull configuration.(99% of the time the first 2 things have solved the issue for me.)

In short transducers will normally lose signal through lack of contact with the water(mounted to high) or turbulence/air bubbles caused by obstructions preventing smooth water flow over the face of the transducer.

This is just my observations whilst installing and diagnosing poor transducer performance as I'm no expert.

Hopefully this will help you and someone else will give you some advice.

Good luck.

Thanks fab1. I'll give that a shot. Very useful advice. Btw, how do u adjust it on the water?

Yeah,standing in 20ft of water while you fiddle with the transducer can be an issue.Lol.I beached my boat and used a stainless rule to make my adjustments then went for another run.Remember only drop/tilt the transducer a few mm at a time then test again.You can do the same by eye if you wish.

Let us all know how you get on.

Cheers.

slight hijack, but is the transducer installation related to why my picture looks a bit rubbish?

Looking at that photo of your sounder,your in water a whisker over the meter mark.Im not proficient in the lowrance brand but it appears you have the sensitivity/gain turned up to high.What are you tying to get a sounding of in such little water?Drop off?Weeds?Reef?etc.Presuming your in discoloured water off course.Did you set up your sounder?Someone else?If you haven't done so try turning up the gain/sensitivity up until you get a screen full of surface noise(clutter),then back off a little until you get a clear picture.As good as the auto setting on sounders are,i operate in manual mode and am constantly adjusting my gain to suit the water depth/conditions.Also make sure you have clean and tight connections going into the head unit.

Surely there's many more raiders on here that run Lowrances that will advise you better than I can as I have always run Garmins.

Cheers.