Need a new beach rod for big sharks

stonedpirate

Hi all

I need a heavy beach rod for shark fishing.

I am using an alvey 651e5 with 50lb lo stretch platypus.

I was using a short alvey 24kg boat rod and droppinng the baits with a kayak but due to a recent shark attack encounter I would now like to cast the bait instead at night.

Everywhere i go, like bcf, rays outdoors and other tackle shops, they only sell surf rods up to 10kg.

Any recommendations on a tough beach rod that can take an alvey would be greatly appreciated. Also, where to buy it from?

Thanks

Wilsons make a 12' 10-20kg but that is only available as an overhead reel option.

Snyderglas Regal 13'6 9 wrap 12 to 24kg as far as Im aware now only available in mid mount for spinning reels. Your not going to get any great distance out of these as they are not the best casting rods.

Ron Thompson Axcellerator. Again only available as an overhead casting rod and only available from UK.

Your problem is the Alvey. Not usually used for shark fishing. Too small and too light for serious sharks

Thanks guys.

Checked out the butterworth, looks like a beast. Pity they dont make it anymore.

Perhaps I shouldn't have said "big" sharks. I'm talking 6-8' range. I have caught many on this reel using a 24kg boat rod. The alvey is practically a winch at this range.

Guess i'll have to buy a blank and make my own.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

Checked out the butterworth, looks like a beast. Pity they dont make it anymore.

Perhaps I shouldn't have said "big" sharks. I'm talking 6-8' range. I have caught many on this reel using a 24kg boat rod. The alvey is practically a winch at this range.

Guess i'll have to buy a blank and make my own.

Cheers.

Hey mate have been researching the exact same thing, a big beach rod to tackle big things. I have left it a little late and will probably get the Alvey 6500 for a holiday coming up soon. What did you decide to do?

Cheers Dave

Maybe add your budget. For casting and graphite $200-$400 Have a look at the new or old shimano revolution coastal range or aero wave graphite <$200. Try the daiwa sensor surfs the izm range with the k guides has an extra heavy in 15foot but you'll need to cut the but down as it's super long to allow for personalisation. It is also hard going on the angler as it is long and stuff but can cast big baits. The heavy penn prevail might be a goer straight off the rack about $200.

For less casting and more weight in your hand but a beautiful action look at the Snyder glass range in different tapers and wraps affordable. There will be a rod out there.

More money, $400+ look into South African surf rods in general. I can't help with brands off the top of my head. They cast big baits and do a lot of slide baiting.

Hey mate have been researching the exact same thing, a big beach rod to tackle big things. I have left it a little late and will probably get the Alvey 6500 for a holiday coming up soon. What did you decide to do?

Cheers Dave

Hi mate

I already had an alvey 6500 before i asked this question. Its a great mulie thrower for tailer/salmon/mulloway but a size 3 sinker and a mullie on gangs is its absolute max.

I ended up with a wilson MT8144.

Throwing size 4s with a slab of tailor or whole mullet. Not far but certainly tough enough to fight sharks with. Hooked up to a big ray the first time i used it, not worried about it snapping.

I doubt any rod will give you a huge cast when using big heavy baits. Any heavy rod should do, with baits this size, a long stick would probably do the job lol.

Hi mate

I already had an alvey 6500 before i asked this question. Its a great mulie thrower for tailer/salmon/mulloway but a size 3 sinker and a mullie on gangs is its absolute max.

Throwing size 4s with a slab of tailor or whole mullet. Not far but certainly tough enough to fight sharks with. Hooked up to a big ray the first time i used it, not worried about it snapping.

I doubt any rod will give you a huge cast when using big heavy baits. Any heavy rod should do, with baits this size, a long stick would probably do the job lol.

I already had an Alvey as well, 720 52e from memory I bought my dad as an upgrade probably 20 year ago. Before I read this I walked in to tackle shop and picked up the Wilson MT7144 as it was on special. Have you done any research on slide baiting. Cuts out the need to cast big baits and looks an easy diy option with a bit of practice

Hi mate

I already had an Alvey as well, 720 52e from memory I bought my dad as an upgrade probably 20 year ago. Before I read this I walked in to tackle shop and picked up the Wilson MT7144 as it was on special. Have you done any research on slide baiting. Cuts out the need to cast big baits and looks an easy diy option with a bit of practice