Mulloway surf rod

Kingie Hunter

Mulloway dont need anything special. They arent good fighters, they just need line to run and wear themselves out.

I use a cheap Wilson MT8144 and have never had a problem with mulloway.

This rod is probably overkill and too heavy for most people but good for throwing out big slabs of tailor.

Edited by stonedpirate

Ive got a Snyder glass fish striker mt8144 12'8" and a live fibre champion trophy 13'........teamed up with 2 daiwa saltiga surf 6000 reels, one has 50lb braid the other has 30lb mono. I had a sand spike put on the live fibre, the snyder has one already. Not that it matters really since i place them both in 50mm tubes at the beach. Would land way bigger fish than I have with them

Ive got a Snyder glass fish striker mt8144 12'8" and a live fibre champion trophy 13'........teamed up with 2 daiwa saltiga surf 6000 reels, one has 50lb braid the other has 30lb mono. I had a sand spike put on the live fibre, the snyder has one already. Not that it matters really since i place them both in 50mm tubes at the beach. Would land way bigger fish than I have with them

I am the same I use 50mm tubes as well to dig into the sand. Trouble is the prevail end piece is huge and does not fit into the tube. May have to a convert to sand spike.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I am the same I use 50mm tubes as well to dig into the sand. Trouble is the prevail end piece is huge and does not fit into the tube. May have to a convert to sand spike.

Hi There

Just a word of warning with the sand spikes, I have lost a rod, reel & very big fish / shark the last time I used a sand spike with slab baits off the beach. Depending on how compact the sand is (Blacksmiths to Redhead where I'm from is fairly loose) the spike can be dragged down towards the sand and even bent, releasing the rod.

May be better investing in some larger diameter pipe. It can be a pain to dig into the sand however you can drill holes through the side half way down, stick a tent peg (or whatever is handy) through it and use it like a pogo stick to set it in the sand. I also prefer the pipes as they have no give once the fish strikes so if your rod is un-attended the hook is usually set for you.

Regarding the rod anything over 10kg should handle jew and the length (12ft+) will allow you to maneuver them in with the waves.

Best of luck!

A mate of mine uses Penn Prevails. He uses a larger diameter PVC pipe.

All the blokes I fish with use 1.2m lengths of 50mm or larger PVC pipe which we flog into the sand at least 600mm with a rubber mallet. They don't shift.

Edited by Crossfire63

Hi There

Just a word of warning with the sand spikes, I have lost a rod, reel & very big fish / shark the last time I used a sand spike with slab baits off the beach. Depending on how compact the sand is (Blacksmiths to Redhead where I'm from is fairly loose) the spike can be dragged down towards the sand and even bent, releasing the rod.

May be better investing in some larger diameter pipe. It can be a pain to dig into the sand however you can drill holes through the side half way down, stick a tent peg (or whatever is handy) through it and use it like a pogo stick to set it in the sand. I also prefer the pipes as they have no give once the fish strikes so if your rod is un-attended the hook is usually set for you.

Regarding the rod anything over 10kg should handle jew and the length (12ft+) will allow you to maneuver them in with the waves.

Best of luck!

Yeah agree Rex. Would never use just the sand spike of the rod. Have even had rods dragged over and into the water while using the tubes. Luckily have not lost any rods yet but been close.

• 5 years later...

Have a mt 8114 custom built blank is pacific composites use a abu 9000cl on it don't like alveys had one once 650 c nearly lost it fishing a breakwall one night . Nearly threw it off the breakwall when I was doing a power cast once you master a overhead you never go back. These days using granite rods.

On 12/29/2015 at 8:41 PM, Kingie Hunter said:

G'day guys I'm looking to get a new beach rod for mulloway could anyone have any suggestions and what kilo range to get it in ? Thanks

Also have a fsu 5144 butterworh powerrod top rod not as heavy as mt 8114 fatter in the butt fast taper dead lifted a 4 foot shark no worries not many graphite rods could do that also good overhead shimano backbone 10ft graphite composites. Can get them in new zealand has pacific bay hardware not Fuji tight lines. 

• 2 weeks later...

i also like the penn prevail , but i preffer the 15kg to 37kg, most people will tell you there is no need  for something this heavy but  if i ever want to go for groper or pigs  of the rocks  this is the rod i would choose  to use  and its also not that expensive 

Edited by leonardgid