Noticable difference 115hp to 140hp

longy509

Hi i have a 2004 115hp 2 stroke Tohatsu and i was reading that by advancing the timing 2 degrees and bending the throttle stop on the top carb out of the way that i would then have a 140hp motor before i give this a go my question is would there be any noticeable performance benefits in doing this or would i just be wasting my time and chewing more fuel.

Hi i have a 2004 115hp 2 stroke Tohatsu and i was reading that by advancing the timing 2 degrees and bending the throttle stop on the top carb out of the way that i would then have a 140hp motor before i give this a go my question is would there be any noticeable performance benefits in doing this or would i just be wasting my time and chewing more fuel.

My advice just quietly,leave it as it is.

Ha i Know where your coming from Fab if it anint broke dont fix it but sometimes its just to hard too resist.

Yeh antony that's what iv read but im not sure whether there would be a noticeable difference with the extra 25hp and if there is difference where would i notice hole shot or wot etc

Edited by longy509

• 3 weeks later...

most engines are slightly "detuned" by manufacturer for reliability and tolerances in manufacturing. You almost always can find a sweet spot in advancing ignition timing but there is a fine line between the sweet spot and trouble and is particular to each engine so what works on one may be fatal to another. In other words a good "tune up" will always help but needs to be done by a qualified person. eg on a road vehicle a dyno tune where the computer parameters can be fiddled nearly always ends in a excellent result in the hands of a good technician.

Jim...

Edited by jot

i had twin 115 suzikis on my shark cat 140 were the same bore and stroke

i can tell you the difference in the old v4 johnos 85hp and 140hp same block older brother was omc master tech he built a cracker of a v4 50kns on a 5mtr fishrader quinnie

1 different exhaurst between 85 90 100 125 135 140

2 different carby jetting you cant make hp with out burning fuel

3 different ignition advance

its all about fuel in and exh out my 1994 4cyl merc runs on 2 cyl at idle to pass emmision stds then clears out a 2500 rpm

there are lots of outboards with the same bore and stroke just different parts to make them more powerfull and more thirsty

hope this helps