Windang

Fab1

Just got back from Windang and I can honestly say it was a nightmare out there.We fished from 6:30pm to around 11:00pm in various areas of the lake using prawns,pillys focusing most of our attention in the main channel along Bevans Island.The tide was racing out bringing a tonne of weed from upstream with it like usual making bite detection very difficult.We caught and lost a heap of tailor,a couple of bream and 3 flathead in those few hours.There were way too many people fishing/prawning from boats,shore and the top of the bridge for my liking,but it is the holidays.Plenty of inconsiderate people on the ramp,water and shore.Coming back to the ramp I collected someone's line on my baitboard while they were yelling out from the bridge that looked like it was covered in flies but they were people.Then trying to dock on the wharf to let the mrs and boy off and grab the car I dodged around 15 lines and collected a guys around my nav lights while he yelled out something in a foreign language.This was before I flashed them with my spotlight and told them I needed to use the wharf as I was coming in(I'm sure these people think the Ramps/wharfs were put there for them to fish).Anyway the 3 flattys were in the 40-50cm range with 2 of the bream around 33-38cm and plenty of undersized tailor with a couple of legals.I can honestly say I did not enjoy myself out there tonight one bit putting up with blinding lights from boats prawning,inconsiderate people driving too close to you,morons fishing on the bridge,morons on the wharf/ramp etc,etc.

All my fish were realeased to fight another day and am sorry I could not get any photos on my phone amongst the chaos.

To leave on a good note my highlight was sharing a few hours with my wife and son.

Edited by Fab1

Mate there are morons out there but spending quality time with family is priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree mate.

sounds like fun!!! At least you managed a few fish for your efforts and some quality time with the family.

Regards,

Nathan

If that was fun I'd hate to see what misery is.

It's funny, it's clearly marked that fishing is prohibited from the bridge at Windang. Yet nearly every time I drive past people are doing it and do t ever seem to be pulled up on it!

This is one case where the law should come down on offenders like a tonne of bricks before someone loses an eye or ear if it hasn't happened already.Snagging a passing boat doesn't compare in comparison.

And ya know. I've never seen anyone land a fish off the bridge. i think the only thing they ever catch are boats

Im sure they got there bag limit last night.That idiot that got their line snagged around my bait board as I passed under the bridge and was swearing and carrying on while my wife and son sat beside me I took great pleasure in towing their bait/lure over to the ramp to discard in the bin there.Just as I was leaning over to realease their line from the baitboard to hear them start swearing I got a sudden pain in my back and had to stand up.I was so upset I couldn't save their line I was heartbroken after all the swearing.That was another highlight of mine.

Hi Fab. The morons were there in the day time as well. Can't believe people were jumping off the bridge into the channel .Accident waiting to happen.

I think all the morons in Sydney had a reunion there yesterday.I can't recall the last time I was so glad to leave a place.For a very pretty area the place sure is a magnet for those type of people at this time of year.I was debating Windang or the Hacking maybe I made the wrong choice but I'm sure these idiots are everywhere being summer and the holidays as I normally avoid going fishing during the holidays and public holidays.

Cheers.

Hi Fab. The morons were there in the day time as well. Can't believe people were jumping off the bridge into the channel .Accident waiting to happen.

Yeah we saw them there the night before last. It would only take a boat to be coming through from the ocean side and there would be some serious injuries if not a fatality

It's funny, it's clearly marked that fishing is prohibited from the bridge at Windang. Yet nearly every time I drive past people are doing it and do t ever seem to be pulled up on it!

This arguement was raised several years ago when a woman was injured on a boat that picked up a line, and the hook ended up embedding itself in the poor womans neck. MSB as it was then say it a NSWP problem. NSWP said that its a local council problem. Neither Wollongong Council nor Shellharbour Council want to take the responsibility each saying its the others problem and neither have the resources to deal with the problem.

Once someone gets killed or seriously injured I suppose they'll put up a man proof fence similar to what they've put over every overpass on the freeways

Edited by Crossfire63

When I was a kid, I fished around Windang, usually above the bridge up to the entrance to the lake near Bevans Island. It was always a bit busy during the holiday period, now it is a nightmare. Very few people fished off the bridge, as they were told to piss off.

Sounds as though the fish are still there. I would be fishing it from February onwards, when the holiday makers and kids are back at work and school.

I fish the system all the time but generally avoid it this time of year for this reason. I have seen the cops moving people off the bridge 4 or 5 times which is always good. We can see the lake from our place and looking at the drop off today I counted about 40 boats........no thank you. Much quieter at the prot kembla ramp today with much more pleasant people! (and lots of good fish!)

• 2 months later...

Hi Raiders. Just got back from a weekend trip at Windang. There were a few of those information signs around the one's on trailers that light up about road works on the bridge between certain hours. Asked my mate who lives there about it and the council with money

from the Baird government are widening the footpath to be a cycle way also. They will also enclose it like the freeway over passes. It will take around 7 months to complete. Last night around 9pm the bridge was full of yellow flashing lights. By next summer no more idiots jumping or fishing from the bridge.

Hi Raiders. Just got back from a weekend trip at Windang. There were a few of those information signs around the one's on trailers that light up about road works on the bridge between certain hours. Asked my mate who lives there about it and the council with money

from the Baird government are widening the footpath to be a cycle way also. They will also enclose it like the freeway over passes. It will take around 7 months to complete. Last night around 9pm the bridge was full of yellow flashing lights. By next summer no more idiots jumping or fishing from the bridge.

sing hallelujah.It only took them a few years,decades....