kingfish lures to troll for kingfish

rookiefisher

hi all

hope you all had a merry christmas and a happy new year. i am wanting to troll for kingfish but i don't know what lures would work since i am fishing out of a kayak. i only have a small kayak so i can't go to fast. i also don't want any lure that is going to break the bank or heart if i lose it. i was thinking rapala x raps or something like that or maybe even a big squidgy slick rig since they have a nice action at a slow speed

any help would be much appreciated

charlie

Kings can be so finicky on any day, but is rare they will ignore a live squid. Rather than spend $20 on Xraps, but invest in some good squid jigs, catch some of these critters, add some weight to keep them down and they will out-fish a lure on any day.

Steve

Edited by Twinfisher 4.9

Or, ooorrr paddle until you find a dead cuttlefish floating on the surface. Cut it into strops and send that down. Works a treat (seriously a true story, i swear)

But yer dido on the squid, if only i could catch them consistently...

Or, ooorrr paddle until you find a dead cuttlefish floating on the surface. Cut it into strops and send that down. Works a treat (seriously a true story, i swear)

But yer dido on the squid, if only i could catch them consistently...

You might be paddling until August though

For harbour or Pittwater kings I usually troll the lures I buy in Daiso.

http://mydaiso.com.au/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=Lure

I guess it's just an Xrap clone at $2.80.

It's almost always the Qantas colour that does the damage. White body with red head.

Swap the hooks out for singles (most fish you catch will be undersized so why damage them). The Daiso hooks are a bit dodgy anyway, though the rest of the lure is good and will last.

That's what I use, but not so sure about trolling from a yak - the main problem is moving fast enough to get the lures working.

Cheers

Arron

• 3 weeks later...