Sydney Today - Fish ID (red morwong)

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

So today was the final trip of my holidays - back to work tomorrow =(S

I had planned to drift the northern beaches again and it paid off. Got to north head at 6am and the lures hit the water but no takers. The water was very green so i suspect fish moved on to cleaner water ?

headed north finding clean water around curl curl beach and a massive school of kings and bonnies feeding on the surface. threw slugs and picked up 4 bonito and also hooked up to a rat king which fell just short at 62cm.

drifted the beaches again in 30m of water testing whether or not soft plastics would work on a paternoster rig. Good result bagging out at 10 blue spots just under or around 40cmish with the score being 4 to plastics and 6 to bait. I found that the fish were likely to come back more aggressively for the bait after having got a taste ?? just a thought. none the less soft plastics on a paternoster rig does work and il keep doing from now on. also picked up a nice 33cm pannie.

on the way back slow trolled and picked up a lazy salmon which barely put up a fight.

whilst drifting i also picked up MR Red - he put up a good fight but i set him free as i have no idea what it is, whether its legal to keep them and whether or not they are good eating. reasonable size at 45cm. can anyone ID this fish please ?

thanks for reading

post-34022-0-55078200-1452409211_thumb.jpg

post-34022-0-77042900-1452409237_thumb.jpg

I could be wrong ... but it definitely looks like a Red Mowong to me. They are typically caught by spearfisherman closer in to the rocks (which my son does). Decent eating. Good catch overall given the water conditions in closer.

The Rev

It has more bands than normal for a Red Morwong, but that's what I'm saying it is.

There is another species called the Banded Morwong, but they have full body stripes from head to tail.

Red Mowie it is, and fairly good eating. Not a common catch on a line.

I will have to rely on your advice gentleman !

The start of my flatty drift is the edge of a reefy weedy hump followed by sandy bottom so i guess it makes sense to find one close by.

Was a good fat fish had I known they were edible he'd be in the freezer right now !!! =(

Sounds like a great day out.

as for that fish I bought a fish id book for my daughter and she believes its a sweetlip emperor. I checked the book also and its the closest match I could find.

Regards,

Nathan

attachicon.gif1452410612461.jpg

these fish are beautiful to eat! my mates went up near the barrier reef somethere i think. they got lots of them red emperor and cod. they are really good eating. dont know how it made its way to the northern beaches lol! but great catch!!!