Lizardfish

Yowie

Question

Yowie,

Here's the one I caught late last year, I've actually caught two of these now. Will have to track down the size of the other one!

Looks like you can see the black spots on it's tail. It actually tried to bite my mate when we landed it, pretty funny...

So I called it for 43.5cm are we sharing this record? Haha :banana:

post-20664-0-46246800-1453688074_thumb.jpg

Yowie,

Here's the one I caught late last year, I've actually caught two of these now. Will have to track down the size of the other one!

Looks like you can see the black spots on it's tail. It actually tried to bite my mate when we landed it, pretty funny...

So I called it for 43.5cm are we sharing this record? Haha :banana:

attachicon.gif2016-01-25 13.05.05.jpg

Looking at yours, I can see some darker brown spots above the lateral line ( the almost white stripe along the side of the body ) and I do remember you posting that photo.

Mine was a constant mid-brown colour above the lateral line, no darker spots like yours, and no white spots either.

Appears there is not a lot of research done on this family of fish, and there may be a few different fish to be researched. There could also be a difference in colours and markings between male and female members. Mine was a female, 2 large roe but an off white colour, whereas most fish have a darker orange or yellow orange roe colour.

Looking at yours, I can see some darker brown spots above the lateral line ( the almost white stripe along the side of the body ) and I do remember you posting that photo.

Mine was a constant mid-brown colour above the lateral line, no darker spots like yours, and no white spots either.

Appears there is not a lot of research done on this family of fish, and there may be a few different fish to be researched. There could also be a difference in colours and markings between male and female members. Mine was a female, 2 large roe but an off white colour, whereas most fish have a darker orange or yellow orange roe colour.

Interesting thought about the male/ female colour differences. I'd say they are on the rarer side of catches, on 40+ trips out in the harbour in similar spots I've only caught 2 of them..

Is there a way to donate these fish to the DPI or a museum for research?

Interesting thought about the male/ female colour differences. I'd say they are on the rarer side of catches, on 40+ trips out in the harbour in similar spots I've only caught 2 of them..

Is there a way to donate these fish to the DPI or a museum for research?

The spot I caught mine in Port Hacking, I have fished for 40 to 50 years and that was the first one I have seen or caught. I have picked a few small grinners over the years, but nothing like the critter in the photo.

You could always ask the Museum if they want the fish for research purposes. I still have one fillet of mine left in the freezer. The hook pulled out some of the gills during the fight, and as it did not look too healthy, I kept it. As it was, it did not last too long before dying.