harbour sesh

Krispy !

Bit of a delayed report, haven't had much time to write it up, last Friday I snuck out for a session at 7am armed with only a light flick stick and a bag of pillys. Wasn't really expecting much but I really needed to go for a fish and blow the cobwebs out. Arrived on location and only 1 guy there so I set up and began fishing. began cubing and immediately saw 2 kings swimming in the trail. With 6lb I knew I was going get screwed over but dropped a cube anyways. In free spool one king comes in for a look and turns away, then the other one comes in and gulps it down. I close the bail and its on. I really wanted to test out a technique ive thought about on light gear which is to fight the fish and as soon as it comes in close open the bail and let it swim back out again for 30 seconds then continue fighting it and vice versa. Surprisingly this technique worked great, where this king would've normally bricked me I just opened the bail and it swam back out every time, I done it 3 times on this fish and eventually after 5 or so minutes up came a nice kingy which the other bloke netted for me. It went 67cm so straight into the esky. Next fish was again another kingfish but this one wasn't even 50cm so back it went. A few trevally and a flounder later I hooked up to another nice kingfish which gave me abit of curry but once again the technique of freespooling when it came in close worked perfectly and after a couple minutes a 61cm king came up. Gave it a kiss and back it went. Was out of bait at 1030 so packed up and left. Nice little session to get back into it.

post-11865-0-37943400-1452682397_thumb.jpg

Good work there Krispy.

I tried a similar technique on the silver drummer off the rocks at Lord Howe Island, many years ago. Floated out bread crusts on 8 lb line, the drummer were hitting the crusts then running out from the rocks on very little drag. When they started to tire, it was easier to play them near the rocks without snagging up. The biggest was about 5 pound.

Tried the free spool method with bream in rocky areas, but the bream head for the rocks regardless and snag up.

The kingies seem to have a mentality that when things become difficult, head for the nearest snag. When you released the line pressure into free spool, that mentality must just change.

Nice one Kareem! Looks like you have figured out a great strategy to enable the use of super light line. Good on you.

Thanks Pete!

were you land base fishing? and what spot did you fished at? finding it hard to find them kingie in the harbour lately

Yes I was landbased, I was fishing in the harbour. Kings have been there you've just got to fish the tides and use light line

Nice work on a couple of decent kings on the 6lb. Cheers for sharing your technique, I'll have to give it a try next time I hook on to a monster on the light stuff.

Thanks mate! yeah give it a go it works great

Good work there Krispy.

I tried a similar technique on the silver drummer off the rocks at Lord Howe Island, many years ago. Floated out bread crusts on 8 lb line, the drummer were hitting the crusts then running out from the rocks on very little drag. When they started to tire, it was easier to play them near the rocks without snagging up. The biggest was about 5 pound.

Tried the free spool method with bream in rocky areas, but the bream head for the rocks regardless and snag up.

The kingies seem to have a mentality that when things become difficult, head for the nearest snag. When you released the line pressure into free spool, that mentality must just change.

Thanks yowie, it something im going to try more and more because it worked so well, hopefully th same results on some bigger kings

Very interesting Krispy.

Can't say that I deliberately tried your technique but I have certainly (like Yowie)

noticed that if you take the pressure off them they will calm right down.

Seems you have used that to your advantage.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Jim, yeah they do calm down very quickly, hopefully it keeps working

Guest Guest123456789

That is a cool technique Krispy. I can see why Penn brought their 'liveliner' is the SSV range. You just flick a button on the back and the reel free spools.

I need to try this technique, where I fish there is a ledge at your feet the Kings try and bury you, I might try flicking the spool and see what the fish does, if it heads back out to open water that will be a lot easier than muscling it up the rocks and hoping the fluro doesn't break on the rock.

Krispy what do u mean by fish the tides,

thanks in advance

Generally a few hours before and after the peak high or low tide are best to fish

That is a cool technique Krispy. I can see why Penn brought their 'liveliner' is the SSV range. You just flick a button on the back and the reel free spools.

I need to try this technique, where I fish there is a ledge at your feet the Kings try and bury you, I might try flicking the spool and see what the fish does, if it heads back out to open water that will be a lot easier than muscling it up the rocks and hoping the fluro doesn't break on the rock.

It should work mate let me know how it goes

Cheers for the awesome report. If you don't mind, where abouts in the harbour were you fishing?

Regarding the technique, how tight was your drag? Would setting the drag really light from the start have worked the same way?

Drag wasnt super light and i was giving them heaps of stickreally light drag would work but it would take longer