Bermagui trip

swano

Fished at Wallaga lake and Bermagui for the last few days.Very weedy round the lake where we stayed at Regatta point.

Did most of the lake fishing around the road bridge and entrance. Landed a couple of decent flatties but over it was a bit quiet.

Most of the boaties I talked to were also doing it tough.

post-13870-0-76548900-1453459420_thumb.jpg

Afternoons were spent on the beach and all the advice was to go to Cuttagee Beach,we did and got a big donut and shovel nose shark.

Did a bit of my own searching and found a likely looking beach closer to where we were staying,and hit that the next day.

First cast and the pillie got smashed,every bait was hit as soon as they hit the water.We landed 20 salmon in about an hour,with Debbie

holding her own and in fine form.We even tried not catching them by fishing with beach worms but that didn't work. Fished until dark

with a few Jewie baits going out with no luck. Let go all the fish except 4 which succumbed to their injuries.They ranged from 30cm to 60cm

with Debs best going 58cm.

post-13870-0-74850000-1453459392_thumb.jpg

post-13870-0-28677900-1453459445_thumb.jpg

post-13870-0-63493100-1453459499_thumb.jpg

In between fishing we did the tourist thing,and found the biggest and easiest weed spot I've ever seen. Also tried black fishing in the lake with no luck,

didn't see anyone fishing for them in 4 days?

post-13870-0-26716700-1453459522_thumb.jpg

The last evening we went to fish off the break wall again with no success,Id read this was a good spot and was surprised to see no one there?

In fact there wasn't many land based anglers at all anywhere we searched.Overall it was a quiet but nice holiday except for breaking my 5kg stick on the

breakwall,Ah well birthday next month so thats the present sorted.

Great stuff deano! I used to stay at that tourist park every new year! Great part of the country! Camel rock surf beach has great gutters. The bermi river is also a good spot if you had a tinny but like you I never found the breakwall productive. At least you got into a few. Congrats to you and the mrs!

Cheers scratchie!!!

A nice quiet spot outside school holiday time. Good work on the fish.

The missus and I stay at Regatta now and then. Missed last December due to a family illness.

I usually manage a few flatties on soft plastics, with some throwbacks amongst them. Tried last time with live prawns one morning - had 10 prawns for 2 flatties, the pickers pinching them mostly. I fish west of the road bridge in a kayak.

There is a lot of weed around the edges. To the west of the bridge is a sand bank, very soft sand and you can easily sink a foot deep in the worst patches. Saw a few flatties in that area a few years back when I waded out, but it was strenuous work out from the shoreline and back again.

Edited by yowie

Ledge with the weed looks like a good spot for blackies...
That sounds like fun with the salmon, funny how you still caught them despite trying not to.
Ill be heading there in a few weeks when school goes back, I may have to copy your itinerary.
Thanks for the report.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice effort. I'm heading down to Bermi in the next few months to give it a go, also going down in May on a charter for yellow fin.

What were you using on the flatties? (lures, line etc)

Cheers

Matt.

Z man Curly tail streakz Bloodworm