Sydney Harbour Monday 25th

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

Decided to take a run into the harbour this morning,

I left the ramp at about 4am and noticed that there were already quite a few boats out.

Looked pretty much like a Sunday when I got our there - boats everywhere.

I collected some yakkas and went outside and down south head looking for some kings.

I also had some squid that I caught and froze a few months back.

I did notice however that my live bait pump had stopped working ( it was making funny noises last time I went out) so I had to spend a lot of time manually filling the LB tank.

The swell through the heads was running at a bout 1.5 Meters so in close to the rocks it was a little unpleasant.

I stuck at it until the turn of the tide and picked up a couple of small kings and a Sgt Baker which may have givne the

fishraider record a nudge had I not dropped it at the boat.

The conditions got the better of me after a while so I headed in and checked a few markers none of which seemed to be holding any kings.

I was reluctant to head over to the Western Wedding Cake because there were already 7 or 8 boats there but as I neared it for a look a couple of boats took off so I took up a position

and threw a 6 inch white stick bait at the structure. I let it sink down close to the base of the structure and gave it a couple of quick rips. It wasn't long before I was into yet another almost legal king.

There were a couple of guys in a small tinnie who were doing quite well but the Police paid us a visit and when they got around to these two guys they exchanged a few words and eventually took them

in tow across towards Manly... I have no idea why.

I dropped a yakka down a little later and that too was engulfed by another rat king.

Water temperature was 24.5 Degrees and the water clarity inside was average.

I left a little later and headed home. I saw a few schools of tailor around the bridge and Fort Denison

but didn't divert to toss a lure at them.

Good luck to those who venture out on Australia Day.

Cheers

Jim

Good report as usual Jim, just out of curiosity what weight jig head do you use for your stick bait? I can never seen to get to the bottom with my jig had selections... They always seem to light and never reach bottom

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Nice report Jim. Makes me want to go with you. I've just been in the Harbour (on a cruise) and it would be great to know where all the spots are, and what they're called, so I could follow peoples posts more easily. Always wanted to catch a Kingie but will settle for Murray Cod. Keep those reports coming Jim. Cheers, Neil.

Good report as usual Jim, just out of curiosity what weight jig head do you use for your stick bait? I can never seen to get to the bottom with my jig had selections... They always seem to light and never reach bottom

Could be wrong here but I figured he was talking about hardbody stickbaits. Depending on the current speed (more current, more weight) I wouldn't use less than a 1ounce offshore especially if trying to reach the bottom.

Thanks OJ.

I was using half ounce jig heads. Casting back into the current helps but if you have to go heavier to get it down there then that's what I do. I think that can kill the action for small sp's for some species but really, I catch just as many kings when the SP is plummeting to the bottom after the cast!

Nice report Jim. Makes me want to go with you. I've just been in the Harbour (on a cruise) and it would be great to know where all the spots are, and what they're called, so I could follow peoples posts more easily. Always wanted to catch a Kingie but will settle for Murray Cod. Keep those reports coming Jim. Cheers, Neil.

Well Neil... just let me know if you head up to Sydney and we will see if we can tee something up.

At least you managed a few fish Jim.

Yep. Always fun whether you get a keeper or not!

Could be wrong here but I figured he was talking about hardbody stickbaits. Depending on the current speed (more current, more weight) I wouldn't use less than a 1ounce offshore especially if trying to reach the bottom.

Yes, sorry mate. Seems that one does cause confusion. Certainly stick baits are very commonly and probably originally hard bodies but Jervis Walker have an SP range called Tsunami Stick Baits and they were the first I used so I keep calling them that.

Good report Jim, bad luck about the pump, hopefully its sorted out quickly.

Oh yes, thanks Basil .... almost forgot!

Better order one!

Cheers

Jim