Live tank

Ric001

So I've had the week off work and had financial approval (from director of domestic finances) to fit a bait tank so off to the local supplier and picked up the various bits and pieces required.

Flow rite Tank

828497d5236765a73fca6fa7eec92d8e.jpg

Flow rite tank kit

d9c64d5b6bddd212372d8eb8267df912.jpg

Hoses and clamps.

So I fitted the tank to the back using a drill, hack saw and files without too many issues.

0e59a4a4594767836198985c3818358b.jpg

I then fitted the outflow to the transom using a hole saw (the white through hull fitting).

The thru hull pump was fitted below the water line and strainer fitted.

Hoses were then connect and tank leak tested. a68a142f01f6dce79d2e3b2dac03dba3.jpgf01cc089e911c033776fb4eb2fc7217f.jpg

b05db6fca2a4fd05c064c4c281c9250e.jpg

Batteries refitted crank (left) and accessories (right)and panels refitted.

fdf50fa033b937f40f5c2276e9fb9cc5.jpg

a01048cb80defc280a3ad8ef0f739798.jpg

Pump check that it works when switched on(momentary), but the big check will be a water test when this weather clears.

All up cost was under $300 including hoses and clamps and about a day labour.

Cheers Ric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Ric001

Nice work and write up. I have changed to a pickup similar to squid boy for the same reasons. I added a small mesh filter before I screwed it on.

I also changed the tank inlet to put the water into the bottom of the tank.

I still think my previous set up with the pump on the transom was more functional, obviously not as tidy as the thru hull type.

Let us know how it goes.

Hi guys. I have a speed pickup ready to fit when time allows. I tried the pump today on water and pleased with that it worked as advertised. Most important point is that there were no leaks evident from any of the pipe work when under pressure or through the hull fittings. I guess I used enough silicon. I'm also thinking of putting a bilge float switch in line with the live tank pump but mounted on the transom so that when it senses being below water level it kicked the pump on. Takes the pressure off remembering to switch pump off while at speed.

From the point of ease of fitment and the way it looks neat (boss was happy with the way it looks) I would recommend the kit. [emoji41]Ric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Ric001

Nice fitout. I came across this switch on e-bay about 18 months ago. Found it tough to find though. I thought of putting a float switch in, but imo, the water temperature in the bait tank needs to be monitored in some cases. The timer switch can be turned on and off as normal. The timer side will pump for 60 seconds, and switch off from 60 seconds and up to 12 minutes, depending on where you at set the dial.

post-25003-0-61538400-1454323290_thumb.jpg

Nice fitout. I came across this switch on e-bay about 18 months ago. Found it tough to find though. I thought of putting a float switch in, but imo, the water temperature in the bait tank needs to be monitored in some cases. The timer switch can be turned on and off as normal. The timer side will pump for 60 seconds, and switch off from 60 seconds and up to 12 minutes, depending on where you at set the dial.

The switch you talk about you can buy at Mar*ne War*hous* online shop. I've installed one on my boat. Works a treat, switch and forget, unless I'm about to plane.

Edited by General Zod

• 3 weeks later...

The best bait tank I ever had ( and still) is to convert the outboard well in to a live bait tank, take up no room, easy clean and drain, easy to catch bait with your hand and a piece of wet rag to reduce spike from yakkas. Many people saw it at the ramp and always had positive comment on it

Xsite