Off Garie - Sunday 21.2.16

sydney south

A couple of Mates and I decided to have a bash off Garrie Beach Sunday morning.

Spikies everywhere and only one good Keeper at around 42cm.

Tried everywhere from 20 metres out to 50 metres with no luck.

Was not the best of conditions. I think there must have been a strong current, as every time we stopped the boat would go sideways to the southerly swell making it a bit uncomfortable. This was after turning the rudders and dragging a sea anchor.

Hope for better luck next time.

I was down there 2 weeks ago, managed a feed,

They can be very fussy if the drift is not just right,

Once you find a couple, continually fish that depth.

Every day can be different. I was harassed by green toads

All day.

Better luck next time

Grandad

I was down there 2 weeks ago, managed a feed,

They can be very fussy if the drift is not just right,

Once you find a couple, continually fish that depth.

Every day can be different. I was harassed by green toads

All day.

Better luck next time

Grandad

Yes the green toads got us as well. Sometimes we caught two at a time and others followed them up.

What were u fellas using as bait ?

I have found that upsizing your bait helps a little with getting rid of the smaller "spikies". I use medium to large size prawns and half pillies. Still get the small ones occasionally tho

Yep tried that as well.

Even used large slices of the spikies as bait, along with large Hawkesbury prawns and squid.

Pretty sure it's prohibited to keep undersize flathead and use them as bait.

Not to mention stupid...they're a bottom feeding predator that rarely leaves it's camouflage dug out. Literally never heard of someone using flathead for bait...probably coz they don't take undersized fish...not happy.

Pretty sure it's prohibited to keep undersize flathead and use them as bait.

Thanks GoingFishing,

Yes checked up with fisheries and you are correct.

I am so careful with regard to sizes and bag limits. Very embarrassing.

Lesson learned and will never do again.

Edited by sydney south

Not to mention stupid...they're a bottom feeding predator that rarely leaves it's camouflage dug out. Literally never heard of someone using flathead for bait...probably coz they don't take undersized fish...not happy.

Adsy91,

Please see my quote to GoingFishing post.

First, I do not consider that I am stupid, just something that never occurred to me.

I must admit, that I have also had a traffic infringement or two in my day, but am generally a good road user.

Sorry for upsetting you.

Adsy91,

Please see my quote to GoingFishing post.

First, I do not consider that I am stupid, just something that never occurred to me.

I must admit, that I have also had a traffic infringement or two in my day, but am generally a good road user.

Sorry for upsetting you.

All good mate to be completely honest I'm not a morning person and apologise for insulting you. I had a job interview this morning and although that's no excuse for rudeness I'm extremely passionate about conservation so possibly a little over sensitive at times when it comes to fish. With all the research we do sometimes it's hard to remember the learning curve. That said though, please do not keep undersized fish.

Thanks for your reply as well I appreciate it and again sorry for being a morning grouch! [emoji5]

All good mate to be completely honest I'm not a morning person and apologise for insulting you. I had a job interview this morning and although that's no excuse for rudeness I'm extremely passionate about conservation so possibly a little over sensitive at times when it comes to fish. With all the research we do sometimes it's hard to remember the learning curve. That said though, please do not keep undersized fish.

Thanks for your reply as well I appreciate it and again sorry for being a morning grouch! [emoji5]

Enough said :-)

You may want to discuss and not lecture................... :puke::banana:

Interesting- when this topic started my initial question was- what are "spikies" the response was small flathead. I was unaware that spikey flathead are also a separate species.

Doing a quick search online and it appears "spikey flathead" are also known as tiger flathead, which do have a size limit of 33cm.

Best be getting some sort of advice from fisheries to put the query to bed :)

The spikey flathead are a species called Long Spined Flathead, grow to not much over 30 cm, no legal size limit, and are as common as dog sh*t on a footpath.

I keep a couple for bait, the fillets make good bait for Blue Spot Flatties and Tiger Flatties (and anything else swimming about)

A word of warning - they have very long spikes on the sides of their heads, hence being called spikies, (and these spikes do draw blood if they stab your fingers) and the dorsal fins have a bit of poison on their tips, which can numb your fingers for half an hour or so.

The spikey flathead are a species called Long Spined Flathead, grow to not much over 30 cm, no legal size limit, and are as common as dog sh*t on a footpath.

I keep a couple for bait, the fillets make good bait for Blue Spot Flatties and Tiger Flatties (and anything else swimming about)

A word of warning - they have very long spikes on the sides of their heads, hence being called spikies, (and these spikes do draw blood if they stab your fingers) and the dorsal fins have a bit of poison on their tips, which can numb your fingers for half an hour or so.

Yes when they spike you you can not stop the bleeding.

I dry the finger/area and apply a peroxide strip that i get from my barber. Stops the bleeding in an instant.

Edited by sydney south