fuel consumption

warnie100

If you are planning trips bear in mind weather, tides and sea conditions...your range will change dramatically if you are punching against the tide, into headwind and/or waves or a prevented from getting on a plane.

Get to know your boat, take it on a few runs with the tank topped up full. At the end of the trip take a note of the trip distance, sea conditions and what your tank gauge is reading (eg 1/2, 7/8 etc). On your return top up the tank back to full and note how much fuel you had consumed on the trip you just made - you can then calculate your consumption for that trip under those conditions and also get a sense of what your tank gauge is telling you.

If you repeat this a few times you will get a good sense of how far you can go - given the current conditions.

Starting out with a new rig my general rule of thumb is I will travel away from the ramp until my tank gauge reads maybe 1/3 empty - perhaps a bit more leaving me 1/3 to get back and a buffer if things turn to crap.

Case and point - a few years back took a trip to Browns Mt traveling out at about 45km/h (flat conditions) and at that easy planing speed (revs around 4500-5000rpm) got to Browns in just under 1hr (40km out). The forecast for afternoon was for a N/E 5knt wind on 1m seas - I was expecting a smooth tail wind with a following sea - easy return trip. Got half way back and hit an unforecast squall 3m waves, 30+knt winds at 12mile reef (20km out).... those last 20km to the heads took 4.5hrs at an average speed of 5km (and in those conditions this was 2-3000rpm range). I can tell you a burned a hell of a lot more fuel on the return trip - glad I kept the reserve buffer.

Cheers and welcome to boating - the considerations are a bit different to driving on the roads !!

Doing 4or8 knots on the Georges with a 115 johnson you could go from milperra to the heads and do some fishing on a single tank. But I'd have 2 tanks for the run back just in case your running against the tide. 1 out 2 back similar to Zmk's 1/3rd rule. Specs on my boat at cruise 75l tank and 50 Honda gives me 200+ kms so I could possibly do a run from Penrith to Gosford and back without too many issues apart from water quality.

Ric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Ric001

edb77702fa72cc61992b611d17f5ca49.jpgf448ed5b0db7ec5ff800fd26d7ec2f1c.jpg

Using the charts and doing some quick sums the range I could get is over 250kms at cruise. I have a stacer 449 but the same motor but that doesn't mean is chance it. Pretty sure one tank would get me to Gosford from Penrith. Playing it safe I'd fuel up before the return trip.

Ric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk