1st bluefin off tasmania

fisholb

Hi all

Decided to go to hobart and try my luck on catching my 1st bluefin. Booked a charter off eagle hawk neck with my mate paul. The charter was cancelled yesterday due to bad weather but luckily today the weather got better. Got to the ramp around 7am and on the water around 730am. Headed straight to tasman island and started trolling skirts and minnows. Got our 1st strike after 15mins but the hook came off. Our 2nd strike came after almost 1hr and landed our 1st bluefin. High fives all round. We got a double hookup not long after and landed both. With only 1 more to reach our bag limit, it was my turn on the rod. We got another double hook up and landed both. I ended up releasing my one after a couple of pics. We decided to target kingys. Within 10mins of putting out the new lures we landed our 1st kingy and was released. We got another one not long after and decided to keep the 2nd one. Didnt get any more kingys after that so we decided to try and catch more bluefin for fun and hoping to catch our 1st albacore. Got our next bluefin after 30mins but before we can land it a seal grabbed the bluefin. Took around 10mins to get our lure back. Got a triple hook up but only managed to land 2. The 3rd one was taken by the seals again. We didnt get anymore hook ups after that. Back at the marina around 3pm. Total for the day was bluefin 7 landed 2 lost to the seals 1 hook pulled. 2 kingys. Best day ever. Average weight of the bluefin was 15kg.

Finally got to tick off bluefin on my list. Next on the list will be spanish mack or wahoo. Probably need to go north to catch it. Thanks for reading.

3df0efa97af77f7beb3894923a9df7a3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

G'day fisholb, that's 2 species that I'd love to catch. Well done. I've been on quite a few charters in different places, but not Tassie. What sorta costs for a days fishing down there, if you don't mind me asking? Neil

Charter costs $960 for 4 people for 8hrs off eagle hawk neck

Hi all

Decided to go to hobart and try my luck on catching my 1st bluefin. Booked a charter off eagle hawk neck with my mate paul. The charter was cancelled yesterday due to bad weather but luckily today the weather got better. Got to the ramp around 7am and on the water around 730am. Headed straight to tasman island and started trolling skirts and minnows. Got our 1st strike after 15mins but the hook came off. Our 2nd strike came after almost 1hr and landed our 1st bluefin. High fives all round. We got a double hookup not long after and landed both. With only 1 more to reach our bag limit, it was my turn on the rod. We got another double hook up and landed both. I ended up releasing my one after a couple of pics. We decided to target kingys. Within 10mins of putting out the new lures we landed our 1st kingy and was released. We got another one not long after and decided to keep the 2nd one. Didnt get any more kingys after that so we decided to try and catch more bluefin for fun and hoping to catch our 1st albacore. Got our next bluefin after 30mins but before we can land it a seal grabbed the bluefin. Took around 10mins to get our lure back. Got a triple hook up but only managed to land 2. The 3rd one was taken by the seals again. We didnt get anymore hook ups after that. Back at the marina around 3pm. Total for the day was bluefin 7 landed 2 lost to the seals 1 hook pulled. 2 kingys. Best day ever. Average weight of the bluefin was 15kg.

Finally got to tick off bluefin on my list. Next on the list will be spanish mack or wahoo. Probably need to go north to catch it. Thanks for reading.

3df0efa97af77f7beb3894923a9df7a3.jpg

dccda8bf1e94aeab05c1373c4903f671.jpg