Buying a boat

Hi all need some help please, buying a new boat as my 4.2 brooker is bit too small, i mainly fish rivers but want to go outside every now and than, im lookin for a aluminuim 5 to 6m under $20,000 half cabbin would be nice, what would be the 3 top brands to look for are quintrex still very reliable?

If your only looking to go offshore now and then I'd look for something much smaller + $20k wont get you a great 6m half cab. You'd have to look for a boat <1990's

I went to the boat show last weekend and came home with a Stacer 539 Easy rider, takes 7,

good room for the family,

plenty of space for 3 guys to fish from,

big enough to go outside the heads

Execellent for towing kids on tube or skis with the 115hp Etec

Awesome in the bay's and estuary I fish

Edited by jeffb5.8

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe this is a new thread but I don't how best to post it. Anyway, it fits in with what you're all talking about.

I just bought my son-in-law's 2001 Stacer 420 Seaway (they were having financial problems so I helped them out). It was used in fresh water on the Murray but hasn't seen the water for a couple of years. It has a 20hp Mercury 2 stroke on it that has been run occasionally and seems in good nick. I'm planning to use it on Lake Illawarra, Minamurra River and generally 'quiet' waters. I intend to have the odd mate with me fishing, and occasionally, the three grand daughters for a tow on a tube.

My question is: will I need a bigger motor (say a 40hp)? Lake Illawarra gets a bit windy and choppy so I don't want to get stuck trying to get back to the ramp. I'm a bit of a boat numpty so please advise.

Thanks,

Rob.

Maybe this is a new thread but I don't how best to post it. Anyway, it fits in with what you're all talking about.

I just bought my son-in-law's 2001 Stacer 420 Seaway (they were having financial problems so I helped them out). It was used in fresh water on the Murray but hasn't seen the water for a couple of years. It has a 20hp Mercury 2 stroke on it that has been run occasionally and seems in good nick. I'm planning to use it on Lake Illawarra, Minamurra River and generally 'quiet' waters. I intend to have the odd mate with me fishing, and occasionally, the three grand daughters for a tow on a tube.

My question is: will I need a bigger motor (say a 40hp)? Lake Illawarra gets a bit windy and choppy so I don't want to get stuck trying to get back to the ramp. I'm a bit of a boat numpty so please advise.

Thanks,

Rob.

Hi Rob,the stacer seaway is basically the same as my quintrex estuary angler.

I run a 30hp yamaha and it planes easily with 3 burly blokes on board.

I've had it on lake illawarra plenty of times as well as the minamurra,hacking,shoalhaven etc in some strong winds and rough weather no worries.

With a mate yours will be fine with the 20hp on the lake but I doubt it will tow a tube too well.

They are a fairly light tinny after all.

Hope this helps and others chime in.

I can see them now saying go maximum hp which is all good and well if you can give up the coin.

Me personally I wouldn't bother putting a 40 on mine as its fine the way it is.

Cheers.