Squid jigs , which one

Geoff

I'm planning on trying for some squid & need to purchase a few jigs

Had a look around , there are a lot of different colours to choose from but not keen to spend a heap of money on every colour available

Perhaps if it could be narrowed down to 2 or 3 would be nice

What colours appear to bring the best results

Tks

Geoff

Last time I went squidding, it didn't matter what colour we used - they were literally jumping on the jigs.

I found if you have a pink or orange and a darker colour you will be alright, depending on light conditions...

bright or a netural colour - and a colour similar to the water conditions - if green water pick a green - if clear water i go with white or natural colour like brown or something close to the reef colour -

there is a vidio on youtube put in paul carter squidding - he knows his stuff and has great info on colours and conditions and when to use them

Hi Geoff,

A few colours like mentioned above would be a good start. I think it just depends on the day. The pilchard looking yamashita has been pretty good for me and an orange hiramtsu, the red and the white glowing Egihead has also produced well.

What system, time of day and depth will you be trying in.

Thanks guys

Time of day , early to mid morning

Depth , not sure but you can see the bottom

"What system " not sure what you mean

Sorry it wasn't worded well. I meant the bay, the harbour or hacking.

Edited by welst

Hey Geoff, as mentioned above, the area\system will determine what sort of rig you will require.

If its in a system that has a high flow of strong current, you'll need a paternoster rig.

If its not so high flow, you can drift the jig on its own. If theres chop, you can leave it in the rod holder, if its smooth, hold the rod and vary with slight jerks upwards.

My favourite colors in order: White, Orange, Pink, Black.

PM me if you want more details mate.

Thanks again for all yr responses . I've discovered this morning There is a lot more to this than first meets the eye

I'm heading down the south coast at Easter , will be trying close off shore , water should be clear & hopefully sunny & only a slight drift , depending on the wind

Had a look at the video & what to use in various conditions , explains what colour to use & when also some interesting methods

Geoff

Inside the harbour on my bream gear I like my sizes 2.2 to 2.5. For further distance and deeper water with snapper gear I use sizes 3 or 3.5

When fishing soft plastics I have frequently had squid hit my white plastics so I like squid jigs with white in them and either some pink or orange so they stand out even more.

I think it is the action which is more important than the colour. I use three different types of retrieves. 1. A slow lift and then pause/drop. 2. A double flick (like soft plastics) and then pause/drop. 3. An agressive triple flick with rod tip low so the jig darts from left to right and back but without covering a large distance and then pause/drop. The idea is to get their attention and then give them time to grab it during the pause.

I let the jig get as close to the bottom as possible without snagging up. If I am fishing over weed I count it down so I always stay just above the weed. If I am fishing sandy bottom I even let it rest on the bottom before flicking it into the water column.

I also make sure my sqid jigs are glow in the dark. On dusk or dawn hit them with a torch so it is easier for the squid to spot.

I prefer a fixed ring tie on point to the swivel which comes with some as I have lost more jigs to the swivel failing over lots of casts than to snags.

Edited by DerekD

Derek Watching the video yr correct , the action appears to be equally , if not more important than the actual colour used

One video I saw the guy was flicking with a rod but had another line out with jig floating under a bobby cork. This also brought results

Have u found that squid are seasonal or are more active at certain times of the year ??

If so , would be interested to hear yr experiences

Squid move around a bit and 15 minutes could make all the difference between catching and missing out. If you are chasing them pick an area which looks squidy (combination of sand and weed) and fan your casts. Maybe do one jig change and if you get nothing then move along a little and repeat. Don't despair. There are times I feel I've lost my mojo and then a get a good session.

If you get a southern calamari then work the area between where you hooked up and where you landed it. They usually travel in twos and threes and usually of similar size. When landing one watch behind it as its mate(s) might be following. Get that jig back out as quickly as possible.

Similar story with arrow squid but I have landed up to 9 in a group.

In Summer I seem to see more squid but in Winter I find they tend to be bigger on the average. Google "thumping middle harbour squid" and you'll find one of my posts on Fishraider. Check out the size of the squid and the size of my go to squid jig.

I had an eye opening experience years ago when I saw a solid squid going for my jig. It was surprisingly hesitant holding on to the jig and whenever I gave it a slight twitch it let go. I finally deliberately set the jig. I lose a lot less now by using a short sharp jab with the rod tip followed by a fight with a soft/gentle touch.

When I catch them I put them in a zip lock bag and freeze them for my next fishing session. If they are really good I call up some of my mates who love their squid.

We did this some time ago,

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=72991&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

From that thread I started following the base colour more.

I like glow at night or cloudy days, but I never light them up, gold first light till bright daylight, and clear base during the day. Or red base anytime.

I fund yamashitas are the go to, then yo zuri, I have son more exxy ones but wouldn't rush to replace them.