Great day on the water and Fish ID please(Pearl Perch)

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

Headed out from Sydney yesterday with dad and one of his mates to do the usual drift for flathead and hopefully find a nice feed.

The forecast made us expect mildy uncomfortable conditions outside and there was ample parking available at the ramp accordingly, it was a nice surprise when we passed through the heads to find rather pleasant conditions outside with winds under 10kn and it continued to get better up until midday when we headed back in. I did hear that around 1pm the wind picked up and it got messy !

Fish were rather timid at first scoring 3 fish between the three of us for the first 3 hours, we moved location a a number of times before we hit the gold mine scoring another 15 flathead and 3 flounder in an hour, at one stage they were coming up two at a time on the paternoster. We returned just as many undersize as we kept and also returned one big girl around 65cm which was fat and obviously full of roe. Dads mate also boated the fish below, bronze body and i couldnt ID him so he swam away. Would greatly appreciate if one of the raiders could ID it for next time?

All in all a great day on the water with amazing conditions outside. Heading back into Sydney with a feed in the bag, a smile on the face, cool breeze of fresh air and as always the icing on the cake, Sydneys scenery and views. We are so lucky to live in this beautiful country.

post-34022-0-39938800-1457853012_thumb.jpeg

Edited by GoingFishing

Pearl Perch...they taste like rubbish so if you could clean it and drop it to my place for dinner I promise I will respect you in the morning.

Thanks Mate

Nice bag mate.

Looks like a Pearl Perch.

I think your right !! Cheers and thanks

Pearl Perch...they taste like rubbish so if you could clean it and drop it to my place for dinner I promise I will respect you in the morning.

Well a quick google search would indicate that it is a top table fish so dropping it off at your place would have been unlikely =P haha unfortunately now that i know what it is it would have been undersize anyway :( i didnt measure her but definately didnt get up to 30cm

Thanks for the ID

Bloody hell. Looked at the pic. Turned the meat over on bbq and replied. To find beaten to the punch multiple times.

Youve gotvto be quick here ;)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Haha Steve.

Some nice flounder in amongst the flatties too.

???

I think what he means is that he doesn't expect Pearl Perch in Sydney.

Must admit I have only heard of them caught in Sydney in recent years and even the DPI puts their

southern distribution limit at Port Macquarie.

... wouldn't mind a few of them finding their way onto my line!

didn't some guy post a photo with 10 or so Pearlies caught of Sydney not that long ago - who says the Ocean's aren't warming up or at least being consistently warmer across the board - Pealie best eating fish on the planet. (my opinion just saying)

didn't some guy post a photo with 10 or so Pearlies caught of Sydney not that long ago - who says the Ocean's aren't warming up or at least being consistently warmer across the board - Pealie best eating fish on the planet. (my opinion just saying)

According to the australian marine conservation society we were having a bit of a sea current heat wave the last month or two which managed to bleach a heap of coral on the barrier reef in 3 days [emoji54] wouldn't surprise me if these captures have something to do with this or a change in the warmer currents. Pearlies just look awesome with those big eyes though don't they!

Well all this talk of pearlies has got me wanted to catch a legal for the table :(

Problem now is i didnt mark the spot where i cought it, at the time thinking it was just bycatch !!! I can tell you all that generally it was in 35m of water due east from curl curl beach