1m King vs 1m jew

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

I brought this topic up a few years ago now but since times have changed and we are all a bit more experienced, what are your thoughts now?

I'll be trying to chase both this weekend in the Tbft but with the impending weather it might be difficult.

My thoughts are the elusive 1m jew is the ultimate angling capture, yet landing a king over a 1m is a feat in itself!

What do you think?

Cheers scratchie!!!

I'm with Scratchie. Having fished the Peak in Sydney during the 70s I've caught a lot of kingies over 1m but only a handle of jewies. Reckon I've lost more over 1m than I've caught

Good question Scratchie!

I think a 1mtr King is a very specific tactical and physical accomplishment and a 1mtr Jewie is more of an all round angling accomplishment.

Both are great fish.

Cheers

Edited by fragmeister

Interesting topic, which has more prestige? That depends on the group of anglers you talk to, and the fishing trends at the time. Years ago for me it was the King on silly string in an ANSA comp. Today living close to a large river system and consistently catching Bream Whiting and Flathead on lures , It is the Jew on soft plastics.

When you hold up a metre king it looks like all the other kings but when you hold up a metre jewie it just looks so much better and the last two metre jewies I caught were in the morning around 10 am in bright sunshine on plastics

Sheesh, a two meter Jewie, must have been some fish [emoji13]

Depends how the fish is taken, top water metre plus Kings are somewhat of a holy grail. A big Jew on lure however is another story.... Any regular fisho knows a big Jew is a much more difficult adversary than a big King. Not fight wise unless over 30kg but more difficult to target in general.Kings seem easy at times when they're on, Big Jew on lure are the pinnacle of angling in NSW in my opinion. Anyone can fluke a few good Kings, The big Jew are another story. I guess I'm more talking about using lures for both species though..

Scratchie I bet you said "Watch this" to your mate then typed that post and had a good old giggle haha :074: .

Great topic. I've caught both and have found that the kings give a great fight and taste great, yet are a more common and can be caught sooner with the same amount of effort.

For me the jew wins as the ultimate catch and I think it's more difficult to achieve, tastes better too! Perhaps some people are referring to the soapies - I've tasted no better fish in the ocean than a slab of jew on the BBQ! (Taste is a matter of preference lol).

Cheers, James

I think it also comes down to where you fish.

The prestige of a 1m kingie is diminished by the ability of a boatie to jig up 3 in a day by being at the right reef on the right day. But to a lb'ed angler a 1m king is another class of fish.

However after chasing both (and not getting to 1m..... yet) the jew would have be held as the higher achievement, but the kingie would be the more enjoyable fight. My 2c

1m fish for all!!!!

Cheers

I hope you guys realise it was tongue in cheek. I may not be able to catch them but I know they don't grow that big.

From my research a Jewie is harder to find but a kingfish is a harder fight

Personally I am all about the technique used and tackle fished with. Kings pull like trucks so if you can get a meter one up on 30lb or less gear you will have your heart in your throat for the who fight. If you can pin a jew on plastics with light gear you will get the same buzz but if you are just soaking baits fishing 80lb & get a few small runs then scull drag it in the only exciting time is when you see the fish.

If meter jews were as common as meter kings I know which one I would be targeting.