Newbie to boating... Need help please any advice will be appreciated

Danielwarson

Hi everybody, I purchased my first boat a half cabin 4.8 meter with 4 stroke 70hp outboard motor the seller told me that he puts fuel and adds oil in the tank as he has unwired the actually oil mixer on the motor because it stopped working he said it's never given him an issue so is this a problem? If i put fuel and add oil? Sorry if I haven't made much sense any info will be highly appreciated thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by zack.89.shimon

Hi Zack

Sounds more like a two stroke than a four stroke. Assuming you motor is actually a two stroke then the owners "oil mix - in tank strategy" is not unusual. But it would be definite problem if it is a four stroke.

Welcome to Fishraider by the way

Cheers

Blood Knmot

If it is a Four stroke you dont add oil to the fuel nor is oil mwed with the fuel. if this is the case it is a 2 stroke. Check to make sure you have either a 4 stroke or 2 stroke. If you have a 4 stroke it shouldnt use oil just check it as you would check oil level in you car. Dip stick under the cowling. If it is a 2 stroke it will either have an oil resevoir and mixed automatically with the fuel or you mix it yourself into the fuel.

Hope this helps mate

Dave

Thank you very much boys for replying .. Ok now I'm really confused:/ he opened the motor cover and showed me some plastic bottle and said to me that's where oil use to go in but "that stopped working so we unplugged it and now just add 2 stroke oil into fuel tank"

It sounds like you have a 2 stroke mate. And it sounds like you will have to mix the oil into fuel. at say 50:1 or 100: 1

Take a photo of the engine with cowling on and the cowling off and put it up here.

Dave
:

Also buddy one more question if you don't mind I had a look on google and it said its good to get grease for the outboard is this a good thing I bought? And is there any specific location to put greese around? Cheers mate appreciate your help

Hi mate,the best advice I can give you is to get yourself a grease gun and learn how to lube your engine often.

I have a post up in the workshop section called prop service/engine lube that should help you out.

You basically want to grease all grease nipples until fresh grease goes in and old grease oozes out.

Congrats on your boat also.

Cheers.

And that oil bottle on your outboard was once part of the automatic oiling system that came with your outboard from factory that does not work anymore.

Just premix straight into the fuel tank as the guys have said and mix thoroughly before use.

Hey fab after reading what you said I put in YouTube greasing boat motor.... I think I'm way off I will get that gun and do it that way and yes you guys are right that bottle is an automatic mixer also mate just another question .... DIY service looks very easy based on YouTube (the changing oil bit anyway) are they just making it look that easy or just literally open 2 screws flush old oil and add new? Thanks heaps mate

Hey fab after reading what you said I put in YouTube greasing boat motor.... I think I'm way off I will get that gun and do it that way and yes you guys are right that bottle is an automatic mixer also mate just another question .... DIY service looks very easy based on YouTube (the changing oil bit anyway) are they just making it look that easy or just literally open 2 screws flush old oil and add new? Thanks heaps mate

Changing the gear oil really is a matter of removing the plugs to drain,then pumping fresh fluid in.

If you haven't done so already mate, it might be a good idea to have that engine serviced either by you(if your mechanically minded) or by our site sponsor or a independent mechanic.

The important things i would do would be changing the impeller,plugs,gear case lube at a minimum.

Fabian.

Hi Fabian hope all is well, thank you for detailed response I think it's better for me to do it with a mechanic as I don't have the experience yet is there a way I could find the sponsored mechanics on here?

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Tapatalk

You'll want to talk to Hayden at Shire Mobile marine mate which you'll find by user name or under the site sponsor heading.

It will cost you a couple of hundred dollars in parts and labour at most.

Cheers.

A full service for a 2007 75hp Mecury was $675.00 from memory which included water pump, plugs, carby tune x2 gearbox fluid, thermostat, compression test, anodes replaced, test and tune in tank and clean.

I priced it up and asked full a full check over as it was a 2nd hand engine I was looking at purchasing.

An easy way to do your petrol mix, have a look and see what your mixture ratio should be.

Then get yourself two red jerry cans and write on it, 50:1 (I'm guessing that this is your

ratio). Buy yourself some Marine Outboard two stroke oil (not motorcycle two stoke) put 400 ml

of oil in each container, take them to your local servo and put 20 litres of non-ethanol petrol in each.

Use these to top you your built in tank. Then refill them for spare fuel on you boat. This will mean that you

don't have to take your boat to the servo and put too much petrol in and not have any room for oil, or having to

do a complicated calculation to figure out how much oil to add when you have 32.7 litres in (654 mls)