Hi everyone need help fishing!

Danielwarson

Hi guys new to fish raider, recently purchased my first boat and just wondering what is a good reliable boat rod (for starters) always have fished off wharfs etc but never have caught anything major and I have a rod that I bought for $35 so nothing special going to bcf tomorrow but not sure what to buy thanks everyone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And also anyone who's keen for a fishing buddy would be good also I could probably learn a thing or two about fishing! Not planning to do any deep sea fishing as I have no experience but any bites hook ups would do for me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The staff at BCF should be able to help you Zack. Probably a 6ft fibreglass rod in the 3-6kg range, a suitable reel and decent 10 lb mono line will get you under way. Good luck...surely somebody will join you on your boat.

Most of the fishing shops will show you what you need, stick with a named brand and a budget, you should get a good rod reel and line package for under $200 which will last years.

Edited by jeffb5.8

Hmm whilst you are told $200 will buy a good reel and rod and it will, ask how much the members have tied up in gear. Ask how many rods do they own. Be prepared for a shock. Fishing is a damn curse not a sport. Good luck with your first keeper.

Hmm whilst you are told $200 will buy a good reel and rod and it will, ask how much the members have tied up in gear. Ask how many rods do they own. Be prepared for a shock. Fishing is a damn curse not a sport. Good luck with your first keeper.

Hahaha go easy! But you're right, put it this way...I could easily spend 20-30% of my pay every week in one trip to bcf just on lures (and that's usually trying to not go crazy) so when leader, braid, tune up gear, nets etc come into play it can be a pricey sport. Don't let that deter you though mate it's all worth it.

Yeah but

How much do people sink into pokies

How much do people spend on golf

Or 4wds or this new turbo for that car

Or nightclubs

At least you might get a healthy meal from time to time

Some great advice above. But you don't need expensive gear to catch fish. One of our members yowie catches most of his quality fish on a handline!

BCF has a great entry shimano sienna combo.

You'll need......

1 x 2500 reel and 2-4kg rod 6-8lb braid

1 x 4000 reel and 4-8kg rod 15-20lb braid

You should be able to pick this up for under $200 in total. Look after them and they'll serve you well. As you become more experienced, you'll understand what our members are talking about.

Cheers scratchie!!!

The Daiwa aird combos are reasonably priced also, not from BCF though...I find them around 15-25 bucks more expensive than other tackle stores and I actually bought my combo for $100 delivered rather than bcf's "on sale" for $200. If you're interested let me know I'll p.m the details. Scratchie knows his stuff though and I'd agree with going cheap to start as this way you can figure out exactly what it is that you like/dislike about the cheaper gear and this will help in chosing the more expensive stuff later on if it comes to it.

Yeah but

How much do people sink into pokies

How much do people spend on golf

Or 4wds or this new turbo for that car

Or nightclubs

At least you might get a healthy meal from time to time

You are right Stevefish.

I'm in real trouble, I own a boat, I fish, I do 4x4 trips in my patrol and to top it off I play golf most weeks.

No wonder I never have any cash [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. The sienna combos represent value for money.. The Sedona is also a good reel but needs a touch more maintenance here and there.. A nice 3-6kg rod can land a legal king on 10lb braid so it covers a lot of your bases. The daiwa aird reel is not bad either but the aird rods aren't that desirable even for the price. I've had a 2000 penn sargus for 10 years and I've landed kings, big flatties and dollies with it because I've maintained it.. I think most reels and rods over 70-80 dollars will do the trick in the bays and estuarys if you look after them.. Good luck

great sienna combos on atm for easter sales! Get em for under $100 with a pack of lures from you know where :D Get on em, my first combo was a sienna combo. I am in love with it. Student budget too, I've got a couple of varieties of them now!! Great value!

I'm another to sing the Sienna's praise. Bought three of them 4 years ago for around $25 each on special, 2 are still going strong..... I can't find the other one. Have only needed the occasional squirt of WD40. I also have an Aired (2500) and a Sedona (1000). Both around 2 years old, bought for around $100 each, and really need a service or to be replaced.

Plenty of good rods around the $100 mark. Get a store staff member to show you a few, run you through the features and go with what you think feels best for you.