Suprise Catch - Sydney 20/3/16

timk

hi All,

Long time viewer although haven't posted all that much. Decided to head out for a fish with a friend yesterday in the miserable conditions, staying inside considering the swell. We caught some squid early in the morning and tried for yakkas although couldn't seem to find them. Decided to make do with what we had and downrigged all day for not a single hit. It wasn't until after lunch when the frustration had kicked in and the decision to head back to the ramp when finally the reel started to scream. Took a little time to get a glimpse of the culprit and what a surprise it was. I couldn't believe it!! Nerves had kicked in as we didn't want to loose this fish. Taking our time until finally we got him into the net, measuring in at 120cm. Water temp was sitting at 24 degrees.

post-33704-0-94660300-1458515604_thumb.jpeg

Also some of the squid we caught

post-33704-0-44317800-1458516223_thumb.jpg

Edited by timk

thanks all for the replies. Definitely made it worthwhile being the only hit we had all day & what a fight it was. Now to get back out and try again!

Entered into catch of the month as per request :)

Guest 4myson

Great catch mate & a top fighting fish !!! I remember hearing that there related to kingfish & we all know how hard they go !

great catch mate? you mind teling me what lines you were using? cheers

hey mate, was using a stella spooled with 75lb braid and 80lb fluorocarbon leader. maybe a tad overkill for some although we were chasing big kings... the braid I use is the shimano ocea which is quite thin.

Yeah that's some deadly gear u have there :) I'm heading out to port hacking on Friday 15lb braid 20+ lb leader. Will that be ok out that area lol :P? Or a 20braid 30lb leader

its personal choice really. Depending what your chasing & where you fish in the hacking it's not all that snaggy. I myself never run less than 50lb leader as we are after some good size kings. 20lb leader will probably be more fun though haha

Too heavy id be running 10-12lb

Krispy 12 lb leader???? If that what u mean? That's not possible to take on the King right? I lost one last week on 20lb leader. Hook gone... I assume it Ma got nothing to do with the line,