GT and drummer off the rocks

LuckyFil

Not often you'll see a report with that title give those 2 species are usually in different climates.

Just returned from a van trip up the NSW coast and stopped at a few locations including Broken Head (near Byron) and Seal Rocks.

Caught a few good tailer and some small to average GTs from the rocks at Broken Head on metal lures. The best of the GTs went 59cms and while not big as GTs go (I've caught much larger at Weipa but from a boat) I was pretty happy to score him off the rocks.

post-18455-0-37035700-1459673445_thumb.jpg

The drummer was from Seal Rocks and is close to my PB. This one went 53cm and weighed 3.5kg. As you can see from his belly he must have been enjoying more than his share of Easter eggs. I was lucky to get him as the hook fell out as soon as I got him onto a ledge and my mate had fortunately climbed down to help lift it in and was able to hold him on the ledge till I got down.

post-18455-0-93314900-1459673510_thumb.jpg

Otherwise Seal Rocks is pretty quiet for shore based fishing - plenty of fish in the water from what I could see snorkelling but not much wanting to bite.

Cheers

Phil

Well done on two great fish! Seal rocks is an amazing place but most good fishing there is from a boat! Some really good reefs up there!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks Scratchie.

As it happened a mate came up with his boat on the last weekend but the nor'easter blew 20knots so we canned boat fishing . But we also had no idea where to go as neither of us had fished those waters previously. I gather from talking to locals there is a reef off Yagon that fishes well for reds and jews. Can you offer any tips on areas we should prospect in case we get the chance to go again - not asking for your favourite marks!

Cheers

Phil

Thanks Scratchie.

As it happened a mate came up with his boat on the last weekend but the nor'easter blew 20knots so we canned boat fishing . But we also had no idea where to go as neither of us had fished those waters previously. I gather from talking to locals there is a reef off Yagon that fishes well for reds and jews. Can you offer any tips on areas we should prospect in case we get the chance to go again - not asking for your favourite marks!

Cheers

Phil

No worries. Skeleton rock would be a good start and then there are two reefs. One n/e and one s/e off that rock. Bloody navionics playing up on me or I'd send you the gps marks!

No worries. Skeleton rock would be a good start and then there are two reefs. One n/e and one s/e off that rock. Bloody navionics playing up on me or I'd send you the gps marks!

That's great thanks. Yeah someone there said Skeleton Rock was a good place to start - will keep it in mind for next time!

cracking drummer there phil

great catch man, that's a monster drummer!!

Thanks guys . Yeah it was quite a tussle - as it is with any drummer but a bit of luck always helps with getting them onto your rock!!