Wanda beach 09/04/16

wchh

Fished Wanda beach from 6:30pm to about 10:00pm last Saturday. Total tally is 6 legal tailors, two undersized tailors released, 2 healthy salmons released, 1 deep gut hooked salmon kept and used for bait. I also caught a good blue spotted flathead.

Most of the tailors were caught before 8:30pm. Salmons came later. I used pilchards. The salmon fillet l switched to after 9:00pm did not get a touch.

The beach was really packed. There would be still around 10 people there when I left.

Charles

Well done Charles

Those two tailor on the end are rippers!

I ate my first feed of tailor in a couple of years last night and they are one of the most under-rated table fish I reckon! Very quick and easy to make into boneless & skinless fillets - no picky bones!

Cheers, James

I have been quietly enjoying my " fillets of freshly caught tailor cooked with green curry" for some time. Tailor has been one of fish I can count on off the beach.

Tailor is one of the reasons I use big hooks (3/0 up) and heavy leaders. Leader weight has been upgrading all those time, been through 20,40,60 and now normally I use 80 pound when night falls.

Great catch there. After reading a lot of raiders keep tailor for eating, I will try it this winter. They normally go straight back out as a livie!

Well done :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

I used to catch Tailor often in my younger days at the Bondi Murk, an old bloke told me to always bleed them and eat them fresh as they do not freeze well. Don't know if that is true cos' I took his word for it and never froze them.

I have been quietly enjoying my " fillets of freshly caught tailor cooked with green curry" for some time. Tailor has been one of fish I can count on off the beach.

Tailor is one of the reasons I use big hooks (3/0 up) and heavy leaders. Leader weight has been upgrading all those time, been through 20,40,60 and now normally I use 80 pound when night falls.

Sounds great mate but how about the recipe cos' I love a good hot curry.

• 4 weeks later...

Is Wanda Beach now still a good spot to have a go? My son (15) and I (much older) would like to try some beach fishing this weekend but we are very new to it. Any advice would be appreciated

Bear

Edited by Noo2OzFish

Great work Charles! A memorable beach session........I chuckled when you wrote that the salmon fillet didn't work as bait! Poor old salmon doesn't get a good rap from humans or fish...

(FYI - excuse the teacher coming out - plural of salmon is salmon, and plural of tailor is tailor - not salmons and tailors)

I used to catch Tailor often in my younger days at the Bondi Murk, an old bloke told me to always bleed them and eat them fresh as they do not freeze well. Don't know if that is true cos' I took his word for it and never froze them.

Like lots of other fish the tailor should be bled straight away and (best) eaten without freezing. They are okay after being frozen but way down the list of quality table fish. We used to "butterfly" them and smoke them...very nice done that way. It's great that we can be so choosy, here in Australia. Cheers.