How to avoid the Hawkesbury catfish

seasponge

Hi guys,

For those of you who have fished the Hawkesbury River, I know you all would have encountered the dreaded catfish. Those ugly, spikey bottom dwellers, turning up to stealthily pinch your bait, then sitting on the bottom like a wet sock until you decide it's time to check your bait. Many a fishing session has ended in absolute frustration at spending all day cutting the buggers loose and having to re-rig; not to mention the number of hooks I lose to them (I take no chances and just snip the line clear).

I like to anchor up and fish in the known bream haunts, but seems as soon as I burley up, the catfish are attracted in plague proportions.

So my question is, when anchoring and burleying, targeting bream, how do you avoid hooking up catfish!! :mad3::mad3::mad3:

Referring to the Vines, close to shore, which

Don't know about this one. I always seem to find them on a muddy bottom. Maybe don't fish the muddy bottoms?

You fishing around Berowra?

Am fishing around the Vines, close to shore, which I would've thought would be more rocky than muddy bottom.

The trick is the bait to use and my old uncle Kevin R.I.P who used to take me by train overnight to Cowan and we fished for big bream with PUDDING BAIT which catfish don't like.

Might be worth a go. I can tell you the catfish love Hawkesbury prawns!!

I'm not sure if this will be helpful because I don't fish saltwater regularly any more. When I target fish that are not necessarily bottom feeders I use floats to suspend the bait or paternoster rigs set to mid water. I know this is ok to catch yellowbelly and avoid too many Carp. Only a suggestion, but it may be worth a try. Good luck.

So my question is, when anchoring and burleying, targeting bream, how do you avoid hooking up catfish!! :mad3::mad3:

Funnily enough I had the same problem when I was fishing in the Clarence River. The trick is to use the Catfish as the bait. Firstly, bream love it and secondly Catfish don't like to eat themselves.

I have no idea why it works, but I use it religously. When you catch the Catfish, kill it as quickly and safetly as possible. Then before you fillet the fish, grab a pair of pliars and rip out ALL the spines to reduce the possibility of any accidents.

Then fillet the fish and cut the fillet into strips and get to work catching those Bream!

Happy hunting!

Hi guys,

For those of you who have fished the Hawkesbury River, I know you all would have encountered the dreaded catfish. Those ugly, spikey bottom dwellers, turning up to stealthily pinch your bait, then sitting on the bottom like a wet sock until you decide it's time to check your bait. Many a fishing session has ended in absolute frustration at spending all day cutting the buggers loose and having to re-rig; not to mention the number of hooks I lose to them (I take no chances and just snip the line clear).

I like to anchor up and fish in the known bream haunts, but seems as soon as I burley up, the catfish are attracted in plague proportions.

So my question is, when anchoring and burleying, targeting bream, how do you avoid hooking up catfish!! :mad3::mad3::mad3:

I used to have the exact same problem lol And for that same reason I don't fish the hawkesbury anymore! It gets trawled anyway.

I've been fishing the Hawkesbury a lot recently and haven't been finding many catfish up closer towards the mouth (Flint & Steel and Patonga area). For instance, they were almost always a problem at the rail bridge. I'm also targeting mainly flathead, so do a bit of bottom bashing. Now I tend to mainly fish the sandy bay areas with minimal current so my burley has max effect. Been working a treat lately, my buddy and I caught 16 flatties yesterday morning with a few bream to top it off. 2 flatties were 80+cm which were PB's for us both. Only catfish caught was by me, which was the first cast of the day...

How many spikes do the catfish have, I always killed them and cut of the top spike at the head, are there others as I will use one as bait next time I am out.

Can't help you out on the number of spikes, I thought it was only the one, but I never get close enough to them to find out. Keen to hear how they go as bait though!

How many spikes do the catfish have, I always killed them and cut of the top spike at the head, are there others as I will use one as bait next time I am out.

The areas of concern in regard to being “hurt” or “stung” are the dorsal and pectoral fins. So there is 3 spines in total.

These fins are located behind the head on each side and on the top of the fish behind the head (refer to the image above).The spines contained in the dorsal and pectoral fin contain a venom that causes edema (swelling) and a hemolytic (causes increased blood flow in the area of the injury) if these spines puncture the skin.

Once you cut them all off, fillet the fish and bait up!