Fishing Broome

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

I have to head up to Broome at the end of next month for work.

It would be a crime not to have a fish while I was there.

I am thinking of taking a 3-4kg travel rod for morning or evening fishing before work

and booking a full or half day mid week tour.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers

Jim

rod recommendations?

I have a Shimano Telescopic Travel Spin Combo - 6'6", 3-4KG, 1 Piece which is very small

and works ok. Mine came in a little plastic handbag thing, that ripped. You can get it with a back pack

now, but its a bit mroe expensive.

I like to leaving it in the car. Its small enough to fit in my work bag too.

There is a big pier up there, the locals all use heavy handlines on it. You can buy the handlines from the local supermarket up there. They get jewies, GT, barra, sharks, mangrove jack off the peir. I fished it a few nights and got one big mangrove jack off it. But the locals were telling me when the jewies run they pull them in one and after and another, so you still have to be lucky and get the right day.

Its really high off the water and don't fall in, there are warning signs that display

WARNING
Sharks
Crocodiles
Sea Snakes
Dangerous Currents
Box Jelly Fish

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

Gee Jim you're doing it tough mate. Need someone to carry your bags? I know that there's deep sea AND river /mangrove fishing available. We weren't able to go river fishing because the tide was too low. They have very big tides there compared to the east coast. As mentioned in the previous post the pier is very popular. Good luck mate.

Gee Jim you're doing it tough mate. Need someone to carry your bags? I know that there's deep sea AND river /mangrove fishing available. We weren't able to go river fishing because the tide was too low. They have very big tides there compared to the east coast. As mentioned in the previous post the pier is very popular. Good luck mate.

And don't forget all the Crocs in the rivers up there :) I wouldn't fish off the bank

I will watch this one with interest.

I have been to the pier mentioned above, but not fished from it, but have always thought it would be good to go back and give it a crack. (We had fish and chips and a beer from the shop at the start of the pier. When they told me the price I thought we were negotiating to buy the shop. LOL.) I did see the sign with all the nasties in the water. What is the reason that the locals use handlines? I would have thought that it would be easier to handle big fish with a decent rod and reel.

rod recommendations?

I have a Shimano Telescopic Travel Spin Combo - 6'6", 3-4KG, 1 Piece which is very small

and works ok. Mine came in a little plastic handbag thing, that ripped. You can get it with a back pack

now, but its a bit mroe expensive.

I like to leaving it in the car. Its small enough to fit in my work bag too.

Thanks. I'll check this one out.

There is a big pier up there, the locals all use heavy handlines on it. You can buy the handlines from the local supermarket up there. They get jewies, GT, barra, sharks, mangrove jack off the peir. I fished it a few nights and got one big mangrove jack off it. But the locals were telling me when the jewies run they pull them in one and after and another, so you still have to be lucky and get the right day.

Its really high off the water and don't fall in, there are warning signs that display

WARNING

Sharks

Crocodiles

Sea Snakes

Dangerous Currents

Box Jelly Fish

Thanks mate... Looks like no shortage of fish and no shortage of dangerous wildlife.

Thanks Neil... somebody has to do it!

And don't forget all the Crocs in the rivers up there :) I wouldn't fish off the bank

Yes mate... no evening strolls along the beach either by the sound of it

I will watch this one with interest.

I have been to the pier mentioned above, but not fished from it, but have always thought it would be good to go back and give it a crack. (We had fish and chips and a beer from the shop at the start of the pier. When they told me the price I thought we were negotiating to buy the shop. LOL.) I did see the sign with all the nasties in the water. What is the reason that the locals use handlines? I would have thought that it would be easier to handle big fish with a decent rod and reel.

Fish and Chips and a beer at the start of the pier ... hmm I might not get much further!

Mate

Your going under gunned, You can get big groper and thumping queen fish off the pier

Thanks, That seems to be the general consensus.

gidday mate 3-4kg not enough double that we fished off that wharf with 30 kg nylon handlines caught some big jacks and queenies got busted off heaps

Thanks... sounds like a lot of fun. Can't wait.