Port Stephens rocks (bonito, tailor, salmon)

Scratchie

Good morning raiders,

I couldn't sleep much last night so I got up early and checked the weather. With the impending southerlies predicted over the weekend and visiting relos, this morning was probably my only chance for a fish over the weekend. Tried to wake the young fella up to grunts and groans. "Good luck dad".

So off I went to get a kilo of pillies from my local "bait and go".

Arrived at my favourite spot (usually for snapper) which was my intended target. Started to burley up whilst the pillies unfroze and first light was approaching. First cast, bang.....big take then no weight???? Wind in and find I'm missing my hook and small pea sinker. Rerigg and try again, same thing! Grrrrr. At this point I'm thinking tailor, so I put on a gang hook with no weight and a full pilly. Next cast I came up tight. I danced around the rocks for a while and managed to land a nice bonito on the next incoming swell. For the next hour it was basically just poling them to the stones! Best hours fishing I've had in ages. Bonito, salmon and tailor all came to the party.

post-24974-0-11256000-1461278494_thumb.jpg

post-24974-0-83945400-1461278598_thumb.jpg

To be honest, I lost count of how many I actually caught. Most were released with the exception of a tailor and 3 bonito that made it home(and fridge, filleted) within the hour. I arrived home to the boy devastated that he didn't come and a neighbours timely appearance as I was filleting the fish out the front! :) needless to say I gave him one!

Overall, a beautiful solo morning in great conditions, in a magic place, Port Stephens!

post-24974-0-89170600-1461278961_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading,

Cheers scratchie!!!

looks like a cracking morning scratchie, gotta love it when the fish agree. Sounds like the young bloke might wake up a little easier next time. Cheers Garry

Cheers Gary! Absolutely beautiful morning. I left the fish biting too! Yep, hard to get teenagers to move there arse early morning, oh well his bad!

Well done great solo session, got my 8yr old out this morning for a bream sesh he got 3 to dads 2 including catch of the day hes tickled pink.Seeing your photos makes me want get back up there quick smart....

Well done great solo session, got my 8yr old out this morning for a bream sesh he got 3 to dads 2 including catch of the day hes tickled pink.Seeing your photos makes me want get back up there quick smart....

Well done. Yes, very hard place to leave! Amazing how conditions change in a day. It's blowing 25knots now. Good decision to go early!

Guest 4myson

Well done mate , I just got back from a week at St Georges Basin & I had the same problem with getting Anthony out of Bed every mourning So I fished a lot of Solo early mourning Sessions .... But I gotta say I LOVED IT !! Nothing but You the Water & FISH !!!!!

Cheers guys!

Stu- I can't give away all my secrets but it's in between fishermans bay and one mile! :)

Sasha- I love fishing solo but off the rocks makes it a bit challenging landing fish! Hope you enjoyed your trip down south!

Mate, the rock fishing up there at the moment is the best I've seen for about 10 seasons. Done 5 trips in last 10 days, and the weather has been amazing. Once the baits hit the current line, which sometime is really hard work to get there, they go off within 5 mins. Nice haul and nice report as always.

Mate, the rock fishing up there at the moment is the best I've seen for about 10 seasons. Done 5 trips in last 10 days, and the weather has been amazing. Once the baits hit the current line, which sometime is really hard work to get there, they go off within 5 mins. Nice haul and nice report as always.

Cheers Scott. Mate I always find this time of year the best to fish this area period! What can I say,

Marlin, longtail, kings, snapper, Flatty, whiting, bonito, salmon, tailor and the list goes on!

A mate next to me last Saturday dropped a Spanish mac next to the boat. Plenty of trag and jew about too! It's just a matter of what to target with the weather that's in front of you!

is it dangerous where you fished at? looks like alot of waves

Rock fishing is the most dangerous sport in the world. If you look, there are no waves, less than 1m of swell, a westerly wind behind me and my platform is 3-4m above the water. So, no not dangerous but never take the ocean for granted!

Guest Guest123456789

Nice one scratchie. Do you remember you recommended to me to spin for bonito with the cheap, brown outback lures? Did you give them a go today?

Nice one scratchie. Do you remember you recommended to me to spin for bonito with the cheap, brown outback lures? Did you give them a go today?

No mate I didn't. My intended target was snapper. I normally cube a few to create a burley trail and then drift some down lightly weighted. Well when I was getting good takes and losing gear, you have to adapt to whats in front of you! So a gang hook and unweighted pilly did the trick! Those lures are bonito magnets either trolled or spun!

Guest Guest123456789

For sure mate a lure that looks like a small brown trout or a cicada droves the pelagics wild!! Terminal tackle will for certain hold out.

Rock fishing is the most dangerous sport in the world.

Agree with that, and a lot of them that go in cannot swim.

Sounds like you had a good time there Scratchie, some good sporting species.

Just returned from a week and a half away in the van, including a bit of time at Echuca. No fishing though, the Murray is way below normal level, toxic green algae in the water with warnings to keep out, no drinking, swimming, etc. Victoria and southern NSW in drought.

Agree with that, and a lot of them that go in cannot swim.

Sounds like you had a good time there Scratchie, some good sporting species.

Just returned from a week and a half away in the van, including a bit of time at Echuca. No fishing though, the Murray is way below normal level, toxic green algae in the water with warnings to keep out, no drinking, swimming, etc. Victoria and southern NSW in drought.

Cheers yowie! Thought you were MIA. A shame you didn't get to fish along the way. Not good news to hear the rivers so low! Oh well, back to the hacking this week! :)

Good morning raiders,

I couldn't sleep much last night so I got up early and checked the weather. With the impending southerlies predicted over the weekend and visiting relos, this morning was probably my only chance for a fish over the weekend. Tried to wake the young fella up to grunts and groans. "Good luck dad".

So off I went to get a kilo of pillies from my local "bait and go".

Arrived at my favourite spot (usually for snapper) which was my intended target. Started to burley up whilst the pillies unfroze and first light was approaching. First cast, bang.....big take then no weight???? Wind in and find I'm missing my hook and small pea sinker. Rerigg and try again, same thing! Grrrrr. At this point I'm thinking tailor, so I put on a gang hook with no weight and a full pilly. Next cast I came up tight. I danced around the rocks for a while and managed to land a nice bonito on the next incoming swell. For the next hour it was basically just poling them to the stones! Best hours fishing I've had in ages. Bonito, salmon and tailor all came to the party.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

To be honest, I lost count of how many I actually caught. Most were released with the exception of a tailor and 3 bonito that made it home(and fridge, filleted) within the hour. I arrived home to the boy devastated that he didn't come and a neighbours timely appearance as I was filleting the fish out the front! :) needless to say I gave him one!

Overall, a beautiful solo morning in great conditions, in a magic place, Port Stephens!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Thanks for reading,

Cheers scratchie!!!

I Rate Bonito sushimi, good report Scratchie