Commercial fishing

GoingFishing

I know this topic has come up numerous times, but i guess no matter how many times its discussed i cant get over it

Was at the shopping mall this afternoon and wondered past the fish shop- almost everything was undersize ! Hundreds of whiting around the 20cm mark.

To add insult to injury trag was being sold as jewfish.

You'll find the undersize fish as being farmed where there are no size limits. Was the whiting red spot? If so there is no size limit. If not red spot you will find it comes from interstate where size limits differ.

Noticed the same the other day at a fish market where I go. Lots of undersized fish but what got my attention was the blue swimmer crabs way way undersize?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you think they don't take/kill undersize fish or fish that they are not licenced to take try following one of the trawlers and watch as they whack the curved knife into fish and throw over the side to the following sea birds. The ones that have enough life left in them and go down would soon be dead or eaten by other fish either way they don't survive!

Jeff

Goingfishing, as i said the smaller fish are from interstate where size differs to nsw, or fish such as jew are farmed .Commercial fishers in nsw, size limits are the same and of course they have different bag limits which is called quota.

Edited by finin

Was at the central coast last year fishing a well known beach with other fisherman for salmon when a commercial fisho crew came on the beach with their utes and tinny/gear in tow. They saw we were catching salmon so they proceeded to net the beach right in front of us and wipe out the huge school in one swoop.

Needless to say all of the rec fishos were dumbstruck at the amount of fish they pulled out in one hit and it really made us talk about the duplicity of government in regards to fish stock conservation efforts considering the rec fishermen individual bag limit is 5 salmon. Whereas an hour or less of work from a commercial fisho managed to haul in, at an estimate of course, 300-400 salmon and i feel im being conservative here. (considering i rarely if ever take home salmon as in my view its only ok eating when not frozen)

Oh, and the samon were going to be used for lobster bait. :mad3:

Finin there were a number of species for sale that were undersize, bream snapper and flathead!

I had been told that commercial fishos have different size and bag restrictions to recreational fishos

Is far as I am aware this is the case.

Commercial fishers now also have the same 70cm minimum size for Mulloway as recreational fishermen but Commercial estuary netters for example are allowed a by-catch allowance of 10 fish in possession ( needs checking whether this is per day too) between 45cm to 70cm.

This is designed to avoid wastage which is an interesting rule because it certainly suggests that undersized fish cannot be successfully released.

So I think that there is a combination of factors impacting what we see in fish shops.

1)The fish come from a location that had different size rules

2) The fish are undersized but part of the acceptable by catch allowance

3) The fish are farm bred and not subject to size limits.

4) Some undersized fish are getting in under the radar.

I certainly see undersized fish in my local fish shop but what's also significant is the age and condition of the fish I see. ( My office is in the Parramatta CBD). I grab some sushi for lunch most days from Westfields and I take a look in the fish shop each day to see whats on offer.

Most fish are un-gutted and certainly not bled. Many individual fish have been sitting there on ice for long enough for me to know them on a first name basis!

Imagine how a 5 day old un-gutted and un-bled Australian Salmon would come up like on the plate! :puke:

I guess as fishermen we know what real fresh fish is like so if you are like me, the local fish shop is where you can by some reasonable quality bait!

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

There is no size limit on winter whiting/trumpeter whiting in NSW. There are only size limits on sand whiting in NSW

Matt

Let me tell you, there is no difference in taste between the two! Trumpeter are abundant year round up here and I don't mind if I do!