Unitika PE2 in the bin!

bluefin

Have never tried this line before, gets a rap on line. BUT the first spool I threw away was a PE.6 8 lb ,it kept on breaking. Today I was trying to tie a knot in the PE.5 6 lb I have and couldn't tie one that didn't break. Tested it and it was breaking at 3 lb. It is now too in the bin. I have 2 8 lb on reels and an unopened 6lb. I have lost faith in this line! No the line rollers are fine. No there are no cracked runners. I pulled 40 meters off the 6 and it still broke at 3 lb!

Edited by bluefin

Crikey, whats next, scientifically tested? I can set the usual drag setting I use, which my old trusty scales tell me is 4 lb and I can pull line of the reel and it breaks !! 6 lb braid shouldn't break.

Crikey, whats next, scientifically tested?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Errr yes.

If your working off guess work on turns of your drag knob. 4lb 6 lb 8lb all the bloody same if your guessing.

You seem to have purchased multiple spools of line and now just throwing them out.. I'd suggest testing your test equipment.

It may work out cheaper.

How do you know your other line isn't breaking above what you think?

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Where did turns of the drag knob come in to it? I fish 2 or 3 times a week. I back my drag off when I get home, then re set it by hand when Im about to fish. Have done it that way for the last 50 years with mono and braid. I check it with scales once in a while to make sure Im not too far out. 6 and 8 pound line, be it mono or braid should not break that easily. All the line I have used in the past has not. This braid is breaking way under what it states on the label.I have used IGFA line in the past and expect it to be just under. But this line is breaking way too low. To a point where the 8lb would make a good 4 lb line. I don't want a 4 ib line, I want an 8 lb. Hence My frustration.

Edited by bluefin

I too have this same problem I use sunline Castaway 12lbs line the knot I tie is the double slip knot and it always breaks about two inches above the knot in the finished position once I do my final test on the knot. I am not shock testing the knot all I do is have the braid in my right hand and have my leader in my left hand and slowly pull away from each other and than snap.

I still have 8 lb on 2 of my rods . The reel is a Stradic ci4+ 1000. the rod is a Shimano TK3G 732, 2 to 5 kg 7'2'. Quite a soft tip. drag set at about 2 lb. Yesterday I was fishing a 1/4 jig head with a 2.5 '' dragon maggot in red. I was using a quick lift off the bottom,the Flathead around here engulf the SP on the drop, then sit quietly on the bottom until you lift the rod.I felt the weight then ping. Broken again between the rod and the water surface! The line floats so i tried chasing it, but wasn't quick enough. Ive had the runners and the reel roller checked and there OK. Haven't had any line wraps around the runners that could bruise the line. I bought 5 of these spools 3 x PE0.6 and 2 PE0.5. I don't like what is happening. ANY suggestions greatly appreciated.

Edited by bluefin

Ok. Found the problem!! If you test the line with a straight pull. It's good! It's very thin, very smooth, casts well. I target a lot of Flathead. I let the lure sink to the bottom, then lift it up fast. The Flathead around here take it on the drop then sit quietly on the bottom. When you lift and there is the weight of a fish on the end,POP. It does not like sudden tension on the line. I can wrap it around my hands and pull slowly and it cuts my hands. Give it a sudden pull from no tension, and it breaks easily.

Ha Ha , thats what I just did. I bought 2 new reels for my 1 to 3 kg rods. They originally had 6 lb unituka, it has been replaced with 2 kg Fireline Exceed ,The new version in green. It breaks at around 8 lb and is similar in thickness to the unitika. The 8 lb unitika has been replaced with Sunline Super PE in 10 lb.Its a little thicker than the 8 lb unitika, but breaks at around 13.5 lb. By the way Black Magic have , or are about to release there own braid. I have used it, once , seems quite good!

Edited by bluefin