'Carpageddon'

Razzell

Who knows there's a lot of for and some against I say let the stuff go! I am an avid fly angler for trout and natives and it will go a long way to restore a lot of systems! We have scarring native sticking programme in NSW so bring on the day

I am all for this release, with reservations that they have done enough testing on other native fish species in the river systems across Australia.

Just remember the cane toad and that disaster continues today.

I am all for this release, with reservations that they have done enough testing on other native fish species in the river systems across Australia.

Just remember the cane toad and that disaster continues today.

Interesting.

I share your concern but if it does work what a great solution.

I wonder what possible ramifications there are for water quality with all the dead fish?

I understand a lot of the allocated money is for the cleanup but there are many miles of rivers a lot of backwaters to cover.

Plus Big Neil would have nothing to target when the river levels are low!

Would be interested what Niel had to contribute on this give his expertise in the fresh water fishing area.

and thanks Razzell for posting this.

Cheers

Jim

Introducing one noxious life form to kill another.

5d44e2df331122c4dfd8de37f4e3b232.jpg

What could possibly go wrong??

Fortunately. Viruses don't mutate! Oh. Wait a minute.....

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Have to say Salty, that is of great concern. What can go wrong usually does.

There are certainly a lot more failures than successes in the area of biological control of pests.

Apparently the cane toad release came off the back a very successful introduction of moths to control %%%%%ly pear.

(LOL the profanity settings on this site don't seem to let me type P.r.i.c.k.l.y Pear).

The authorities thought they were getting good at this biological control caper so there was only 6 months of limited testing into cane toads and against many protests they were released.

What a total blunder.

Edited by fragmeister

Sorry for my tardiness in responding to this topic. It is (naturally) of great interest to me, but also many other anglers who have Carp to consider, in their local fishing environments.

Firstly we have to acknowledge that Carp present a problem to native fish species. Do we trust the scientific evidence that supports this? YES

Secondly we have to acknowledge that the problem is not going away, of its own accord. YES

Thirdly we have to decide whether we trust science to have got it right with this solution. YES, WE DON'T HAVE EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY

Fourthly we have to decide whether Carp provide any benefit to being in said environment. APART FROM GIVING ME SOMETHING TO TARGET WHEN WATER LEVELS ARE LOW ...NO

It's obviously not that simplistic and I'm throwing in an element of humour here...but do we have any other viable alternative? Provided the "experts" have checked and double checked their planned solution and carry it through accordingly, I think the benefits outweigh the risks. We trust science every day of the week. That's why we have scientists...to make decisions that ordinary folk can't (and shouldn't) be making. Bring it on. Neil

I agree with most of what you say Neil

Except we should challenge the science! Scientists are fallible and with a vested interest for the agenda of who ever pays their wages.

Science is all about challenging what is stated.

It may be unlikely but what if the viral strain mutated. Was able to affect other species and then washed out to sea????

How can humans catch bird or swine flu?

Virus are highly adaptable.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge in this area could explain how this could ( or could not) be possible?

Edited by NaClH2OK9

You make some valid points Salty and sure scientists are fallible but the concept of science representing the common good has led to humans surviving longer, and with better quality of life, than ever before. Sure we can all cite examples of where science has failed us, but (ultimately) we have to trust people to do what they do. Only history can determine their success, or failure, should that be the case.

It's a good topic for debate...I would love to see an environment where Native Australian fish thrived, for future generations to enjoy catching. Cheers mate.

Science is as you say about challenging what is stated. But it only works by also using Science, not by imagining bad things happening, or by watching too many science fiction films. There are some really good examples of CSIRO doing some fairly clever things, including using naturally occuring viruses to control pests. The Calicivirus is a very good example, naturally occuring rabbit disease used to control rabbits. Here they are contemplating using a naturally occurring carp virus to control carp after 7 years of testing. For me, bring it on. Rivers where our excellent native species don't have to compete with the carp, I want to see that!

Matt

Thanks for the interesting read!

If it has been tried and tested in other water systems (Japan, Israel) then it seems like an excellent way to rid our waterways of these pests.

Given the time it has taken to research the impact of the virus on our water systems I'd say they seem to know what they are doing and what the potential consequences may be.

BUT as everyone here has said, the science is always fallible. If something goes wrong, at best we would still have the carp. At worst, we could do further harm to our native fish stocks.

It does seem like a great idea though, let's hope they do know what they are doing!

I found this article answered a few questions. Though non of the q and a are guaranteed

https://blog.csiro.au/reclaiming-our-rivers-from-feral-carp/

Saw that too. A little more confident after reading it.

Hows this picture of the baby carp at the weir?

Wouldn't it be great if we saw juvenile natives in these quantities!

courtesy-Nigel-Harriss-1260x707.jpg?ssl=

Science at work. Whilst we can seldom be 100% certain of any scientific data and research. I still think that we should go ahead with the release, UNLESS something detrimental crops up between now and scheduled release dates. If it works it HAS to be VERY beneficial for the future of our native species of freshwater fish. That has to be good for we, the anglers.

We could do with the virus in our Canberra lakes. Years ago, not long after completion we had a really good stock of trout in Lake Burley Griffin. Now, even though there is a good population of natives (Cod etc), it is full of carp :(

I say bring it on :1clap:

I'm all for supporting it. But at the same time let's consider the food source that carp do provide to some of our native beasts. Also what effect will the virus have on wildlife that consume infected carp cause nature is a big cycle right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm all for supporting it. But at the same time let's consider the food source that carp do provide to some of our native beasts. Also what effect will the virus have on wildlife that consume infected carp cause nature is a big cycle right.

G'day Matt. The scientists have tested relative parts of the food chain for possible impact problems and have reported that there are no foreseeable problems likely to occur. Seems to me that they have anticipated potential problems, during the research phase of the process. Assuming they are right there should be a positive impact on Carp numbers being reduced...then (hopefully) a significant increase in Native species numbers. Cheers.