Hard work but got a feed.

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

Headed out to 12 mile today as the forecast was for a .8m swell and light winds.

Arrived at 12 mile with some livies and a selection of jigs. Not a soul there except for me.

I don't think that I have been to 12 mile with no one there before so I couldn't leverage of the crowd.

I had to spend some time locating the edges of the reef

and poking them into the GPS so I could plan my drifts.

For those who have never been there the reef really only comes up from 120 to 100 meters so its a little hard to define.

In 1 hour of zig zagging across the the reef I did not see any signs of fish what so ever,

Water temperature was 20.5.

After 2 unproductive hours I decided to head back in as the wind was picking up ( wasn't supposed to).

Ended up at south head where at least I could see some interesting marks on the sounder. This is typical mid-water kingy marks so I was excited.

post-32937-0-51576100-1462520570_thumb.jpg

post-32937-0-55586200-1462520615_thumb.jpg

So I sent down a live and it was immediately snaffled.

post-32937-0-79934300-1462520649_thumb.jpg

Drifted over the spot a few times more to no avail.

Spoke to some other fishos in boats and they had nothing

Checked out wedding cakes and a few rats had been caught that was bout it.

Good day out though.

Just about to settle in to an entree of kingfish sashimi and feed of Kingfish fillets.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Fished Long Reef Wide today for a very humble result. The smoke haze meant that we did not sight the coastline for the whole day. The light fluky winds made it hard to get a decent drift. It was only at 2.00pm that the wind picked up somewhat to get us covering ground. We expected a good catch with the dark of the moon and smooth seas. Nothing is ever predictable when fishing!

Fished Long Reef Wide today for a very humble result. The smoke haze meant that we did not sight the coastline for the whole day. The light fluky winds made it hard to get a decent drift. It was only at 2.00pm that the wind picked up somewhat to get us covering ground. We expected a good catch with the dark of the moon and smooth seas. Nothing is ever predictable when fishing!

Not a good result. The kings are around but I reckon they are just not feeding aggressively.

The one I caught had nothing in its gut at all so perhaps it was just one that was hungry enough!

Jim, can you tell those of us who don't know much about sounders what it is about those images that tells you it's kings and not some other fish, or even baitfish.

Thanks

Arron

Hi Arron,

I have to say that I am not 100% certain of anything I see on the sounder but I am getting better at it.

I base this on what I learned at the Fishraider fish-finder day ( thanks Donna & Stewie) and experience I have gained since then.

Sounders wont give the fish image or show the arch ( depending on your settings) for a school of bait fish because it can't differentiate between individual fish.. they are packed so close together the the image just comes up as a

shaded area in an otherwise clean background. I have seen small fish at 12 mile reef scatted all over the place right through the water column so the sounder will certainly pick them up if they are dispersed.

Schools of salmon will also appear like this because they are often so tightly packed. Any school will in fact if its vert tightly packed.

Looking at the first image the vertical noise is just where I changed settings on the sounder so it can be ignored but as for the clear fish symbols I pick this for a school of kings because its not tightly packed, the images are of a mixture of medium to larger fish and they are hanging around mid water.

In my limited experience these signs are characteristic of kings.

The second image is a little further along the drift. I am still picking this as kings but its still possible other fish were mixed in with them.

I guess the clincher was was I tossed a livie over I came up with king! LOL.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister