Slide Baiting For Kings and Jews

JohnTheFisho1

Hi all,

Has anyone had any luck slide bating livebaits for kingfish or jewfish? Essentially this rig prevents the livebait from swimming backwards, forcing it to swim forward and towards your graple sinker. See the image attached. I will be using this rig in the harbour, landbased, off wharves.

John

post-39051-0-67960100-1463009460_thumb.jpg

Guest Guest123456789

Not tried it, keen to hear how you get on. I suspect the complexity is too much. My personal view is to adhere to the KISS principle.

I have been researching it for quite a while now and i am about to bite the bullet and go for it strictly for Jew of a couple of beaches where i need to get out past the breakers. By all accounts it should be an effective Jew rig. Not too sure how it would stand up as a kingy rig though.

I've tried slide baiting but I'm yet to land something substantial. I saw a guy using this method last summer off the rocks in the Northern beaches, I was intrigued since so I gave it a go and I was not disappointed. I had to do a bit a research prior to trying as the guy who I saw doing it the first time was not very keen in sharing his technique or giving me any tips. I found the below link to be helpful. I hope it helps you a bit, Good luck

http://blog.effectivefishing.com.au/slide-bait-rig/

Not tried it, keen to hear how you get on. I suspect the complexity is too much. My personal view is to adhere to the KISS principle.

Nothing could be simpler with the right gear. We don't use the run of the mill rods and reels.

The object of the game is to get the live bait out into deep water

Edited by Crossfire63

A bloke at a tackle shop talked me through how these things work. I'm intrigued a bit and wouldn't mind giving it a go. Just interested, could someone explain how this would be different from simply casting a live bait out?

Cheers

A bloke at a tackle shop talked me through how these things work. I'm intrigued a bit and wouldn't mind giving it a go. Just interested, could someone explain how this would be different from simply casting a live bait out?

Cheers

Hi Mike

Pretty simple. How far can you cast a live bait. 20 maybe 30 metres, and then they can swim anywhere.

Using these things enables me to put a live bait 125 to 170m off the beach or rocks into deep water as I only have to cast a grapnel sinker. We use Namix or Gemini Breakaway sinkers.

Because of bait sliders design the bait cant swim back towards you unless its strong enough to lift the sinker and bring it back to you.

If you rig the bait up on a short leader, I use 30 to 45cms, which makes the bait easier for a Jewie or King to catch as it doesn't have to chase it all over the place.

Edited by Crossfire63

Hi Mike

Pretty simple. How far can you cast a live bait. 20 maybe 30 metres, and then they can swim anywhere.

Using these things enables me to put a live bait 125 to 170m off the beach or rocks into deep water as I only have to cast a grapnel sinker. We use Namix or Gemini Breakaway sinkers.

Because of bait sliders design the bait cant swim back towards you unless its strong enough to lift the sinker and bring it back to you.

If you rig the bait up on a short leader, I use 30 to 45cms, which makes the bait easier for a Jewie or King to catch as it doesn't have to chase it all over the place.

Always wanted to give this a go but I'll admit my lack of experience in the surf. What sort of rods and reels are you using? I've got some sensitive but strong 12fters and some heavy long cast and surf/jigging reels, will one of these suffice?

Cheers

Ads

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Adsy91, on 14 May 2016 - 10:16 AM, said:

Always wanted to give this a go but I'll admit my lack of experience in the surf. What sort of rods and reels are you using? I've got some sensitive but strong 12fters and some heavy long cast and surf/jigging reels, will one of these suffice?

Cheers

Ads

I use a Ron Thompson Accelerator teamed up with an Avet MXL 5.8MC reel or a Silaflex 8W 120 rod with a Penn Squall 15 depending on the surf and current conditions.

Other rods commonly used are AFAW 6 + bait or something out of the Sonik range. The run of the mill rods available in tackle stores don't tend to work that well other than some of the hi end Diawa Tournament Master and Saltiga rods.

Edited by Crossfire63

I use a Ron Thompson Accelerator teamed up with an Avet MXL 5.8MC reel or a Silaflex 8W 120 rod with a Penn Squall 15 depending on the surf and current conditions.

Other rods commonly used are AFAW 6 + bait or something out of the Sonik range. The run of the mill rods available in tackle stores don't tend to work that well other than some of the hi end Diawa Tournament Master and Saltiga rods.

Cheers for the info,

I'll check them out and see what I have in comparison.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Crossfire63. In regards to beach fishing: Do you have to make sure that the slider reaches the sinker area (I presume it may take a while) or it is common to catch the fish with slider half way to sinker?

Thanks Crossfire63. In regards to beach fishing: Do you have to make sure that the slider reaches the sinker area (I presume it may take a while) or it is common to catch the fish with slider half way to sinker?

Hi There

No I don't. I normally put a brass ring about 3 or 4 feet back from the sinker.

Fish will strike at the bait wherever they come across it. I've had Jewfish take them 10 m off the beach and had to crank 100yds of line back in before I could start to bring the fish in as he's just going to go where he likes until you get the slider down to the brass ring. That's where a 6:1 retrieve comes in handy.